War On Drugs Targets Tech

Matthew Gaylor freematt at coil.com
Mon Feb 5 07:55:35 PST 2001

Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:
>Drugs will never be legalized in the United States.  We've been
>focusing on legislators, but the problem is even more basic than
>that: The Mafiosi and the gangsters won't allow it.
>
>They can't make the kind of profit margins they're accustomed to
>when legal suppliers can produce coke for $6 an ounce or Marijuana
>for $1.50 a 40-pound bale.

Never say never, especially since drugs had been legal in the United
States.  Prior to passage of the Harrison Act in 1914 drugs like
cocaine were widely available at any general stores or pharmacy.  And
such drugs could be purchased by anyone, including children.
Marijuana was criminalized in 1937.

BTW, cocaine is produced legally in some areas (It is used for dental
procedures in some nations) and the price hovers around  $10-14 (US)
for a kilo.
Incidentally, in the cocaine producing areas such as Columbia and
northern Ecuador you can purchase a single kilo of refined cocaine
for around $100 (US).

Regards,  Matt-