The Register - There are still crypto reg's...

Steve Mynott steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 2 01:58:57 PST 2001

Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> writes:

> true multitasking was under WinNT3.51, it was about Neck-and-neck
> for quality with MacOS 7.  And like Mr. Zakas, I'm pretty convinced
> that even though MacOS 10 has true multitasking, it has definitely
> fallen behind WinNT 4.

Well the name of the operating system is MacOS X and I don't think you
can say it has fallen behind NT 4 when MacOS X release isn't even out
yet.

I don't know what you mean by "true multitasking", which isn't a
technical term, but would guess you are refering to somelike the
destinction between preemptive and cooperative multitasking.

In fact even Windows 95 had preemptive multitasking which is absent in
MacOS 7 and wasn't added until MacOS 8.6.

>From an operating system angle MacOS has been traditionally poor with
no real process control or no real memory management (any Mac user
will tell you the "virtual memory" system is shit) being a hacked up
mess dating from 1984 with kludges stuck on the side.  It's
superficially pretty but ugly under the hood.

But MacOS X is based on BSD UNIX/Mach with a radical new userinterface
and I, for one, would rather use it than NT.

1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott steve at tightrope.demon.co.uk

    gates' law: every 18 months, the speed of software halves.