Mac vs. PC religious war claims

Phillip H. Zakas pzakas at toucancapital.com
Thu Feb 1 21:51:32 PST 2001

Ok I'm honestly not interested in a religious war (your term).  I will
clarify my earlier comments.  For me this issue is really about developing
and keeping market momentum and the impact poor momentum has on the
evolution of a computer line -- if Apple were as big in the market as
intel-based stuff we'd probably have better apple hw and sw.  This is the
feedback loop problem in my opinion.

Putting up barriers to development makes no sense when launching a computer.
The $5K license I referred to was required as late as 1992 (when I purchased
one for an app I wrote and sold commercially), and yes was eventually
dropped.   But by then the damage of:

- going after the K-12 education market rather than the colleges and
business schools...
- focusing on 'cool' and the niche graphic markets...
- charging developers to develop and sell apps for the mac...

...had really taken their toll.  I'm not sure, but I don't think Apple ever
received more than 15% market share, right?  Apple had many innovative
products but they rarely evolved beyond the cpu and beyond simply adding new
features or network cards, etc. (except for the messagepad which evolved
quickly then suddenly died).

I think early policies regarding developers really matter in a computer
product launch.  In contrast to apple which always had a relatively closed
and proprietary system (if you remember, apple didn't release hw and io
details), IBM opened up the BIOS calls almost immediately leading to TSRs,
etc.  Plus apple always discouraged clones (except for a brief period), so
all innovation had to come from apple and the apple team is focused on
consumers and not on, say, scientists and data centers so
development/evolution was designed to please consumers. In contrast, the
intel platforms always enjoyed clones (esp. after ibm began to license bios)
and now we have dozens of specialty vendors creating motherboards, network
cards, memory busses, etc. for intel platforms.  There are way more vendors
supporting and programming for the intel platform than the apple platform as
a result (I think anyway).

As for the multitasking stuff, I agree efficient multitasking is handled by
the OS, but there's more to it than the OS alone.  Nice HW has the design to
handle several devices at once with the goal of efficiently interacting with
the OS/apps.  I might be wrong, but one environment this becomes clear is
not the home, but the data center.  My point of reference is this: I spent
months working with a TV network and Apple Computer trying to get a large
number of G3s to efficiently scale to handle a large streaming media event.
It didn't work very well because the Macs couldn't be strung together in the
way you can cluster other platforms; each machine couldn't handle their
ethernet interfaces very efficiently (less than 20% efficiency was common --
try it yourself on your laptops) and the units burned a lot of time
constructing/deconstructing tcp connections (which was likely a tcp/ip stack
and/or multithreading problem), and of course apple lacks an application
server making management and scalability pretty difficult.  I tried to pull
the G3s into service because i'm a fan of the open source release of the
Apple quicktime streaming media material (very nice quality).  And I was
disappointed I couldn't scale the G3s (despite the help from apple and
others).  Maybe things have changed in the last 12 months, but I'm not sure
about that (maybe my desgin for the streaming center was bad but the
alternative design works well today).

Look I hate the whole mac/pc debate because it's not interesting to me.  but
I do think there were mistakes/decisions made early on which have made apple
what it is today in the marketplace.  as for some of the technical
challenges I'm not sure this list is the right forum to respond but i could
provide concrete foundations for some of my generalizations (and I suspect
that would be terribly boring for the others on this list).
phillip
btw gag me with a spoon? :)