Some judges need Killing

mattd mattd at useoz.com
Mon Dec 31 20:50:34 PST 2001

On June 6th a Eugene based newspaper, The Register Guard, reported that a
man who killed a woman while driving drunk received a 10 year jail
sentence. The man was given the sentence because the judge saw him as
having no concern for the lives or well being of the other drivers on the
road.
Six days later, the same newspaper reported that my friend Jeffrey Luers,
also known as Free, had been sentenced to 22 years and 8 months for causing
a few thousand dollars worth of fire damage to some sport utility vehicles.
This disparity in sentencing is one we should expect from a society whose
values are so predominantly capital-centric. Even though the judge admitted
that Free had taken precaution against harming people, the value of those
trucks has become more important than the value of life itself. Free is now
22 years old. He will spend more time in jail than he has already spent on
earth.
The fire Free was convicted of setting was an act of compassion. The gas
guzzling monstrosities known as SUV's slaughter more animals each year than
the fur industry, emit fumes that harm the well being of plants and animals
alike, and take us further down the path of a world without green spaces.
As forests, grasslands, and other wild areas fall to make more room for
parking lots and freeways, is it any wonder that people are beginning to
attack the auto industry?
I've known Free for about 4 years. In that time I have seen him do amazing
things. His dedication to the protection of wilderness is almost without
peer. He has lived much of the time I have known him outdoors, constantly
protecting forests and the animals that live in them. When ever we saw each
other he would tell me about his latest arrest, jail time, or the
harassment he was undergoing for his beliefs and actions. It seemed like it
was never ending, but he never stopped. Even from behind bars he has stood
strong and continued to urge others to go on the offensive for mother earth.
I know for sure that even if Free serves every day of his nearly 23 year
sentence he will get out and continue fighting. He values life too much to
ever give in and become part of a culture gone mad. While he is stripped of
his freedom, it is up to us to continue fighting. His sentence cannot
become a deterrent to us. If we quit protecting animals, wilderness, and
each other out of fear of reprisal then we are cowards. Let Free's bravery
stand as a testament to how hard our common will is to break. Don't give
up, and dedicate your next victory to Free.
Extract.
Practise to kill the president on a judge.