End-to-end encrypting US GSM phones?

Ryan Lackey ryan at havenco.com
Mon Dec 31 12:49:40 PST 2001

Steve Schear wrote:

> If platform portability is desired why not use QT?  I believe there
> are  ports to both Linux and Windows (including CE).

A widget library does not a crossplatform development environment
make.  Particularly since you need to do audio processing,
tradiitonally one of the least portable parts of UNIX programming
(even from unix to unix).  Doing a simple 100% native GUI using whatever
widget set is most popular on a given platform is nothing compared to
handling audio in a reasonable way.

Plus, some of the good compression libraries seem to be windows-only
right now.

If the goal is to provide secure communications to as many people as
possible, a wince encrypted msn messenger + voice chat system seems
best.

Actually, you might just be able to do ipsec on the ppp link between
the two machines, and then use 100% pre-existing microsoft wince
software, to do it -- I don't know if they have an IPsec
implementation for the wince platform yet.

BTW, coderpunks at toad.com appears permanently dead, culled from the to:
line.

Ryan Lackey [RL7618 RL5931-RIPE]	ryan at havenco.com
CTO and Co-founder, HavenCo Ltd.	+44 7970 633 277
the free world just milliseconds away	http://www.havenco.com/
OpenPGP 4096: B8B8 3D95 F940 9760 C64B  DE90 07AD BE07 D2E0 301F