End-to-end encrypting US GSM phones?

Lucky Green shamrock at cypherpunks.to
Mon Dec 31 10:01:05 PST 2001

Ryan wrote:
> "Everyone" has palm pilots already.  WinCE-based PocketPCs
> haven't made much of a dent in the marketplace.  There is
> also a very large developer community for palm apps, and
> they're widely deployed in
> corporations.

I am not sure that the existance of a large developer community has much
bearing on the suitability of Palm as an encrypting phone platform. As
for the hardware, it simply is underpowered. You can spend man-months
trying to fight the current underpowered Palm platform or you can use
the sufficiently-resourced PowerPC platform. Since I don't believe that
there is a requirement for the feature to operate on a device already in
the user's possession, I know what my choice would be. YMMV.

> If you're assuming users will buy a dedicated device *and*
> put linux on it, that's reasonable (or sell pre-packaged
> systems).  Otherwise, you also need to develop for WinCE on
> the PocketPC.

The OS is really of secondary or tertiary concern here. The more
important question is which (if any) handheld hardware supports
full-duplex audio. Do we know for fact that the lack of full duplex
audio support on the VoIP handheld demo is due to lack of support in the
HW or could it be a lack of support in the WinCE OS?

--Lucky