End-to-end encrypting US GSM phones?

Ryan Lackey ryan at havenco.com
Mon Dec 31 09:07:31 PST 2001

Quoting Trei, Peter <ptrei at rsasecurity.com>:

> Ryan suggested earlier that the Ipaq with Fireball isn't up to the task.
> I don't think this is correct. I point you to
>
> http://www.stanford.edu/class/cs344/staff/group10/final_report.pdf
>
> in which some Stanford students produce a wireless ipaq2ipaq
> VoIP system. Biggest problem is that it's simplex, not because
> of cpu limitations but rather that the Compaq HW can listen or
> make noise, but not both simultaneously. Using a headset which
> interfaces through the expansion port might enable you to
> avoid this problem (and the BT headset could also offload the
> codec). A 206 MHz Ipaq would, I think have sufficient HP to
> do the crypto.

I didn't mean the imply the Ipaq CPU (200MHz StrongARM) would be
insufficient, merely that from usability standpoint.

The "holy grail" would be working on 16-33MHz *dragonball* (== 68000)
processors.  *That* would be impressive.  Doing this on a strongarm is easy.

I'm not sure what the audio output from the ericsson bluetooth headset
is, when it connects to a PDA.

I've asked Monty (the ogg guy) and some others, and they think a 50MHz
ARM7 is more than sufficient for the compression; getting it down a
33MHz 68000 (like in the recent high-end palm devices) would be cool.

Ryan Lackey [RL7618 RL5931-RIPE]	ryan at havenco.com
CTO and Co-founder, HavenCo Ltd.	+44 7970 633 277
the free world just milliseconds away	http://www.havenco.com/
OpenPGP 4096: B8B8 3D95 F940 9760 C64B  DE90 07AD BE07 D2E0 301F