Clarification for cpunks_anon at einstein.ssz.com

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Mon Dec 31 09:04:53 PST 2001

This alias into the CDR is NOT intended as a general anonymizing feature
(irrespective of whether I happen to delete logs or not). It is ONLY meant
to obfuscate the source of traffic from current list subscribers (not
parties outside the list which might be using technical or other means to
execute traffic analysis).

If you need true anonymity then please consider using the following:

-	Always(!) use 'throw away' or 'one shot' accounts. NEVER use
	the same account or physical access point twice. NEVER use an
	account you pay for with a check or credit card. Remember
	that video is quite prevelant in todays society so be aware that
	identifying the location of the source, even if financial
	instruments aren't used, may be sufficient to identify
	you.

-	Use an anonymizing service outside of the SSZ domain to increase
	the points of attack required to uncover the source.

-	Modify your text style; review favorite words or phrases and
	avoid them completely. If possible run your text through a
	translation service (eg source -> Spanish -> source) and then
	edit the resultant. If you do use an online translation service
	use an anonymizing service for this access as well.

-	Don't use sig's and such.

-	Avoid closed source software as there is a history for this
	class of technology to add identifying items to the material
	they generate. In an ideal world you would compile the source
	yourself after reviewing the source code (including the compiler
	mind you). However, given the general state of technical skills,
	this is not likely. One approach might be to take binaries, of
	the same rev level and compiled with the same compiler and
	library rev's, of a given tool from different sites and then
	compare them for any differences.

             Day by day the Penguins are making me lose my mind.

                                             Bumper Sticker

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com