Choices of small handguns

Matthew Gaylor freematt at coil.com
Mon Dec 31 07:13:07 PST 2001

At 2:01 AM -0600 12/31/01, Black Unicorn wrote:
>You can decock the pistol silently by disengaging the squeeze cock mechanism
>under the trigger guard and flush with the depressed squeeze-cocker with the
>thumb on your free hand and slowly releasing pressure on the cocker.  It's
>pretty easy to engage the cocker silently as well, but why bother?  I
>consider it like a set trigger.  It only gets cocked when the target is
>acquired, identified and in the sights anyhow.

Have you experimented with doing that drill under stress or
simulating a hand injury?  I think you'll find the design lacking.

>It loves being dirty and will shoot on and on
>regardless of what its been through.  (Fluted chamber helps here).

You bring up one of my other objections to the design- The fluted
chamber is tough on the brass.  If you don't reload it isn't a
problem however, but the fluting puts striations on the brass that
weakens it for subsequent use.  I've heard that certain loads
(Silvertips) foul up the gas system on the P7 quicker than other
designs.  If the P7 works and if your particular gun works for you
and your happy with it that's great.  Personally I'd stack up my
Sig226 or Beretta 92FS against the P7 anytime.

Regards,  Matt-