Death to Capitalism.

mattd mattd at useoz.com
Sat Dec 29 05:23:00 PST 2001

the most stupefying characteristic of todays society is its ability to
make daily comfort exist a hands breadth away from catastrophe.
In the middle of October, 2000 in eastern Kentucky, a coal mine pond gave
way, releasing 200 million gallons of sludge into streams, killing fish,
washing away roads and bridges and fouling the water supply. The tar-like
sludge spread into the Ohio River. But such disasters are not so uncommon.
One need only consider the cyanide spill that happened in Romania at the
end of January spreading as far as Yugoslavia and leaving a few hundred
tons of dead fish (not to mention birds, otters and other creatures) in its
wake, or the spillage of radio-active material at Tokaimura, Japan that
caused major environmental damage for a radius of several miles around it
in October of 1999. And of course, we cannot forget Bhopal or Chernobyl.
But these are the most spectacular disasters, the ones that could not be
made invisible (though even disasters of this sort may, in time, become so
common that they cease to be newsconsider that there 45 coal mine ponds
that were said to be at higher risk of failure than the one that collapsed
in October). Disaster is, in fact an ongoing aspect of our present
existence. The estuary at the mouth of the Colorado River is quickly dying,
most likely due to the effects of hydro-electric dams. Chemical pollution
has spread death from the mouth of the Mississippi River well into the Gulf
of Mexico. The ozone layer disappears along with the forests and the
plankton that feed it. And the melting of the polar ice caps has forced
scientists to admit to the reality of global warming. When one adds to this
the more blatantly intentional disasters caused by the attempts of the
great powers to teach the lesser powers the meaning of democracy by bombing
the shit out of the powerless, it is clear that life in the present is
always lived on the edge of disaster.
When the litany of disasters that surrounds us is sung, it is easy to feel
that we are dealing with the inevitable, with an unavoidable fate. But this
is not the case. Every one of the disasters described above can be traced
to the functioning of specific social institutions and the decisions of the
people who hold power in them. As has been said many times, there are
people who make these decisions and they have names and addresses.
They also share a particular social position. As the rulers of this social
order, they benefit from it in terms of power and economic wealth. (That
they do so at the expense of their individuality and any real enjoyment of
life does not decrease their responsibility for the present existence.)
While some of the disastrous effects of their decisions may have taken them
by surprise, it cannot be honestly said that they acted blindly. After all,
these are the same people who had no problem with showering a small
predominately agricultural country with herbicide in an attempt to destroy
its economy. The environment is not their concern; power and economic
expansion are.
When capitalism developed the technological system ideal for its expansion,
the industrial system that began in the shipping industries which then
provided the resources for developing the manufacturing industries, the
door was opened to a world of daily misery and ongoing disaster. Whether it
be the genocide against indigenous people who did not adapt quickly enough
to their enslavement to the needs of capital, the illnesses and injuries
that the regime of work imposes on workers, the increasing precariousness
that faces everyone who is not of the ruling class, misery is the order of
the day in this society.
To fully understand why this is, it is necessary to realize that capitalism
thrives on crisis. Its order is an order of crisis management. For the
rulers of the social order this is not a problem. They are well protected
from the consequences of the crises that they sometimes quite intentionally
induce. Those at the bottom, those who have been excluded from any real
control over the circumstances in which they live, suffer the consequences
of this system.
The industrial system, which is so necessary to the expansion of capital,
has been an environmental disaster from the beginning, offering William
Blake some of his most frightening poetic images. The famous London fog of
the 19th century was, in fact, industrial smog which accompanied high rates
of tuberculosis among the poorer classes. Today, the toxification of the
environment combines with the stress of daily survival to create cancer,
heart disease, immune system breakdown and increasing levels of mental
distress and disorder from which those in power seek to protect themselves
with medical care that most of us could never affordand which plays its
own role in the toxification of this world.
Capitalism will not provide a solution for the disasters it causes. It is a
system of stop-gap measures, and, increasingly, as the new technologies
come to the fore, a system of tinkering with ever tinier atomized bits.
Unfortunately, in the face of economic precariousness and environmental
disaster, survival tends to take precedence over life and joy. And in this
way, the rule of capital penetrates even into our minds, as we find
ourselves succumbing to the use of stop-gap measures, of the methods of
crisis management, in an attempt to guarantee ourand the earthssurvival.
Thus, the strange phenomenon some of those who call themselves anarchists
using litigation, petition, even the electoral process in the attempt to
save a patch of forest, stop a particular development or prevent the
destruction of an indigenous culture. The problem is not that people
struggle for these specific aims, but that in desperation they lay aside
their ideals, their desires and their dreams, and use methods of struggle
that only reinforce the economy of disaster that rules existence today.
The struggle against this present existence in which misery and disaster
are the norm must, in order to have a chance, base itself in our desire to
live full, passionate lives, on the joyful intensity we create in our lives
in spite of the existence imposed on us. Only then can our struggle move
beyond the careful measurements of crisis management, beyond the stop-gap
measures for guaranteeing survival at the expense of life that merely aid
capitalism in maintaining and expanding its rule, instead embracing those
methods of struggle that move toward insurrection, toward revolution,
toward the unknown. Our present existence is a toxic prison. There is no
way to know what lies beyond the walls. But here we know we are being
killed and this can only end when our love of life moves us to tear down
the walls.

Link: http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/ProjectPl/willfuldisobedience/