Rushkoff and buy this free market special.

mattd mattd at useoz.com
Sat Dec 29 04:58:26 PST 2001

When I was a kid, we lived in a relatively modest neighborhood and shared
one barbecue pit at the end of the block. Every weekend, anyone could go
down there and make some hotdogs. Parents would even cook for one another's
kids. When we got a bit wealthier, we moved out to the suburbs. There, each
family had its own barbecue in the backyard. Instead of barbecuing with the
neighbors, we competed with them. "The Jones's have sirloin, so we better
get filet mignon!"

Sure, in the suburban sprawl schema, the Weber Grill company gets to sell a
whole lot more barbecues, but our experience of community is surrendered to
the needs of the marketplace.

I've been making this argument for the past couple of years in articles and
speeches around the US. Then, just last month, a libertarian magazine made
a fascinating critique of my work that they believed neutralized such
anti-corporate sentiments: those of us taking a stand against the
marketplace as the dominant social paradigm are only doing so in order to
make money!

That's right  the whole 'lefty' thing is a disingenuous scam to sell
books, posters, and magazines like this one. We're actually in it for the
profit.

What makes this argument particularly perplexing is that, if it were true,
shouldn't the libertarians praise us? We would be adhering, after all, to
the very principles they espouse! We are simply providing a product that
meets consumer demand, and  because we don't really believe the rhetoric
we spew  we are doing so without prejudice or forethought. We are as
blameless as corporations selflessly catering to the will of the
all-powerful consumer. Just like global conglomerates, we  the merchants
of Marx  are simply appealing to a target market. In our case, we sell a
hip, anti-consumerist aesthetic to people who fall into the Seattle
Demonstrator psychographic.

This kind of circular, self-perpetuating analysis is symptomatic of a
society getting itself into some serious ideological trouble. We are so
inundated by the free market's rhetorical whitewash that we are fast
approaching what can only be labeled "market fascism": a social contract
that can no longer tolerate any opinion or event that doesn't serve the
speculative economy. Its adherents can't understand motivation in any other
terms than profit-mindedness; they can't imagine alternatives to the logic
of capitalism. Those who can conceive of counter-currents become the
latest-variety "enemy of the state." The state itself, of course, is to be
reduced to the barest regulation required for the free flow of capital and
protection of property. Market opponents must be eliminated or, better,
assimilated. The bottom line really does become the bottom line.

Currently, trillions of dollars and man-hours are being spent to lock down
just such a reality template. Through intimidation, reward, and an odd
scheme of justifications, the market is yearning towards the status of
sacred doctrine. While it's still permitted, let's deconstruct some of its
sacred cows before they become our only source of milk.

The first faulty premise of market fascism is that consumption invariably
leads to an expression of democratic will  that we vote with our dollars.
In this sense, corporations conduct focus groups, polling, and other forms
of cultural anthropology, and justify this information gathering as an
effort to get to the heart of what people really want.

In reality, the results of such studies are divided into two categories:
desires that can be monetized, and those that can't. If focus groups
conducted by the music industry, for example, determine that kids want to
hear songs made by their own neighbors, record labels do not rush to market
songs by anon-ymous teens. Instead, they use this information to construct
publicity campaigns for the groups they have already decided to back.

No, the reduction of the role of citizens to that of consumers does not
translate into cash-register democracy. It means that the scope of our
influence has been reduced to very limited conversation with our marketers.

Market fascists dismiss such arguments, claiming that we are paranoid
leftists, imagining a conspiracy between a group of fictitious marketers
and corporate chiefs  that such people do not really exist. In a sense,
they are right. In the corporate reality, no one is in charge.

When you walk into the gap, a young clerk will initiate a well-researched
sales technique called gapact (Greet Approach Provide Add-on Close Thank).
Should we be mad at her? Of course not. She's just doing what her manager
has told her to do. If she doesn't end the day with a certain quota of
multiple-item sales, she'll get in trouble. So do we blame her manager? No.
He's got to meet a quota, too, set by corporate headquarters. Do we blame
the marketing department? Well, they're just taking their orders from the
ceo. And he's just taking his from the Board of Directors. And they're just
listening to their shareholders. And those shareholders, well, they're some
of the same people walking in the door as customers, who happen to have gap
stock in the mutual funds of their retirement plans.

The whole thing is on automatic. Although corporations may have the legal
rights of human beings, they aren't human at all. A corporation is just a
set of code  like a computer program  a recipe for making money. The
human beings enacting the code, from executives to customers to marketers,
become part of the machine.

Worse still, today we are empowering our corporations with the most
advanced techniques of persuasion known to science. I'm not talking about
discredited notions like subliminal advertising, but much more pernicious
forms of influence, like neurolinguistic programming, regression and
transference, pacing and leading, and other forms of hypnosis. Sure,
marketers and advertisers have always used versions of these techniques,
but never have we extended and automated them through computers and onto
the Internet. The Internet gives the formerly abstract corporate entity its
eyes and ears. Consumer feedback is instantaneously recorded, compiled,
shared, and acted upon. There is no need for human intervention, or, of
course, the conscience or ethical considerations that might slow any of
this down. Sell more stuff in less time with higher profit is the only
corporate command set.

Like most Adbusters readers, I've spent a good deal of time examining how
these techniques work. Suffice to say, the way to make people buy things
they don't really want is by making them tense. In order to sell
unnecessary goods, you must convince people they are unhappy so that they
yearn to make their lives better  to fill in that sad vacuum. The plain
truth is rarely put this plainly: a marketer's job is to make people unhappy.

And that gets us back to the oldest trick in the book for keeping people in
line: take intimacy away from them. If a teenage boy is sitting on the
couch next to his girlfriend, he's less likely to be persuaded to buy those
jeans in the TV commercial. He's already getting laid! So what are the
marketer's alternatives? Get the girl to worry about how her boyfriend's
clothes reflect on her, or, better, find a way to keep the kids from having
sex at all.

This all became stridently clear to me a few months ago, when I was asked
to appear in a debate on cnn about censorship online. They had me up
against a "family values" advocate. I was supposed to argue that the right
to free speech outweighed the concerns of parents about what sorts of
pornography their kids might stumble upon while surfing the web. As the
debate went on, I realized we were all accepting the premise that kids
should be protected from sexual imagery. What studies have ever been done
to prove it's dangerous for kids to see pictures of people having sex? We
let kids watch sitcoms in which parents regularly lie to one another  but
we fear what will happen if they see people making love?

My point is not that kids should be exposed to porn. Rather, it is that the
sacred truths we hold as self-evident are, in fact, blasphemous distortions
of social reality intended to reduce thinking human beings into compliant
consumers. This, combined with marketing techniques designed to limit human
agency to impulsive Pavlovian responses, leads to an unthinking,
unquestioning, and absolutely unfulfilled population, ripe for market fascism.

The irony here is that religion might actually serve as a last line of
defense against this branded cultural imperialism. Adbusters' annual "Buy
Nothing Day" used to occur once a week as a long-forgotten ritual called
"Sabbath." Once every seven days, the Judeo-Christian founders concluded a
few millennia ago, people should take a break from the cycle of consumption
and production.

Imagine trying to practice Sabbath today. What's left to do that doesn't
involve paying for admission? Are there any public spaces left other than
the mall? Though the Sabbath was widely celebrated even 10 years ago, it
now falls outside the imaginable for the market fascists: wouldn't it throw
the economy into a recession?

Perhaps, but it would also give us 24 hours each week to restore a bit of
autonomy into our own affairs. The hard right has claimed the spiritual
high ground (as a way of promoting market values) but it may actually
belong to us. It's our way of disengaging from the corporate machine,
unplugging from the matrix, and considering whether we would rather have a
communal barbecue pit at the end of the block. It's not time off; it's time
"on." It's a sacred space for the living. We might even use it to have sex.

www.rushkoff.com