Remailer Stats (was: Swiss Bank in a Box)

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Dec 25 12:37:00 PST 2001

    --
On 25 Dec 2001, at 6:00, Ryan Lackey wrote:
> A population of even 10k is certainly well within FBI (or
> even my personal) resources to investigate, at least to a
> cursory level. Given that most likely a lot of those users
> are located at large and "compliant" ISPs or mail
> providers, gaining access to their normal outgoing mail
> feed, connection logs, and identity information is just not
> that hard.  Especially if you're willing to break the law.

The best is enemy of the good enough.  If the enemy can
identify me as a member of a population of ten thousand, this
is a fairly major improvement on identifying me as a member
of a population of one.

So, remailers are not wholly bullet proof.  We would like
them to be better.  They are still pretty good.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     hiM77kpAaJ+5uWgrtn1I+TfDotrX5OXB0GJMb2wI
     4yRkGOMlxofAaU0Cg92QmLQhoqKsVQvjvAdZ8WVo0