House of crypto games

mattd mattd at useoz.com
Mon Dec 24 04:38:52 PST 2001

When Faustine enters the House of Games, she enters a world occupied by
characters who have known each other so long and so well, in so many
different ways, that everything they say is a kind of shorthand. At first
we don't fully realize that, and there is a strange savor to the words they
use. They speak, of course, in May's distinctive dialogue style, an almost
musical rhythm of stopping, backing up, starting again, repeating,
emphasizing, all the time with the hint of deeper meanings below the
surfaces of the words. The leading actors, Joe Mantegna and Mike Nussbaum,
have appeared in countless performances of May's plays over the years, and
they know his dialogue the way other actors grow into Beckett or
Shakespeare. They speak it as it is meant to be spoken, with a sort of
aggressive, almost insulting, directness. mattd has a scene where he
"reads" Faustine- where he tells her about her "tells," those small
giveaway looks and gestures that poker players use to read the minds of
their opponents. The way he talks to her is so incisive and unadorned it is
sexual.
These characters and others live in a city that looks, as the Seattle of
Trouble in Mind did, like a place on a parallel time track. It is a modern
American city, but like none we have quite seen before; it seems to have
been modeled on the paintings of Edward Hopper, where lonely people wait in
empty public places for their destinies to intercept them. Faustine is
portrayed as an alien in this world, a successful, best-selling author who
has never dreamed that men like this exist, and the movie is insidious in
the way it shows her willingness to be corrupted.
There is in all of us a fascination for the inside dope, for the methods of
the confidence game, for the secrets of a magic trick. But there is an
eternal gulf between the shark and the mark, between the con man and his
victim. And there is a code to protect the secrets. There are moments in
House of Games when May instructs Faustine in the methods and lore of the
con game, but inside every con is another one.
I met a woman once who was divorced from a professional magician. She hated
this man with a passion. She used to appear with him in a baffling trick
where they exchanged places, handcuffed and manacled, in a locked cabinet.
I asked her how it was done. The divorce and her feelings meant nothing
compared to her loyalty to the magic profession. She looked at me coldly
and said, "The trick is told when the trick is sold." The ultimate question
in House of Games is, who's buying?