FY;) [Pigdog] I've changed my mind, the 2nd amendment rocks (fwd)

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Dec 23 12:45:47 PST 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 12:42:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Donkey Hotey <pigdonkey at donkeyshow.org>
To: pigdog-l at bearfountain.com
Subject: [Pigdog] I've changed my mind, the 2nd amendment rocks

So yesterday for my girlfriend's birthday 10 of us went to the Jackson
Arms Shooting Range ( http://www.jacksonarms.com ) in Millbrae to shoot
some guns.
I was a little scared about going, guns being EVIL and WRONG and very
Un-Berkeley (unless they're melted down into a statue provoting
nonviolence), but it was her 30th birthday, and she could do whatever the
hell she pleases.
We signed up for the novice package, which I must say is a pretty damn
good deal.  A retired cop gives you a 30 minute lecture on gun safety, how
guns work, how to grip them, how to aim them and all that good stuff.  He
used a Ruger MkII .22 pistol for the demonstration.  It was a little
disturbing, because I was sitting in the front of the class, and everytime
he needed to show one side of the gun or the other, he would point it up
and around in this big dramatic motion.  The intent was so that the gun
never faced anybody, but it was still a little scarey.
After the lecture and a little video that showed the semi-automatic pistol
reloading, we got to go to the range.  Everybody got a Ruger .22 and 100
bullets for target practice, but we were also allowed to upgrade our
pistols later.  We had the lane for two hours.
I was a tad bit scared when I picked up the gun, but not much as I would
have been if I hadn't had the course.  All my shots were consistently at 7
o'clock on the target (which was only 7 yards away).  I was sticking my
trigger finger too far into the trigger, so I was pulling it down and to
the left (I'm left handed).  The 3 women who were there were all DROP DEAD
ACCURATE though.  I mean right in the center of the target every single
time.
So we started upgrading our guns.  I tried a 9mm (don't know what kind)
which I thought was as little jumpy and harsh, a Smith & Wesson revolver
(a .38 which is a .357 which is a .356 or some such nonsense) which was
FUCKING AWESOME, and a .44 which made really big wholes.  I have to say I
liked the revolver the most.  Once I shot the other weapons, I went back
to the .22 and was a hell of a lot more accurate.  The thing seemed like a
weak little toy gun.  It might as well be shooting suction darts.

They have a whole bunch of targets that you can choose from.... my
favorite was the hostage page. It had some unabomber looking guy with a
gun pointed at a woman.  I blasted the woman right between the eyes.

While we were there, a reporter from K101 who was doing a story on women
and guns interviewed us.  I guess she's a regular and when she learned a
woman was celebrating her 30th birthday by learning how to shoot, she had
to be there.  The woman kept asking Mary about safety and protection and
Mary said "oh, no, I just wanted to shoot stuff."  I guess we weren't what
she was looking for.  Mary will get a copy of the story in the mail, so
we'll see her take later.

Wow I really didn't think I'd enjoy shooting guns.  Now I need to join a
militia right away.
The teacher at one point did mention the 2nd amendment.  He said
"although the 2nd amendment guarantees us the right to bear arms, we do
not believe guns are for everybody."  So that was wholesome and
refreshing.   When the revolution comes I won't shoot him.  Actually I
think I'll stay away from him, after I saw what he could do rapidfire.
Also he would like the world to know that Danny Glover doesn't know how to
handle a firearm.

yikes! guns are cool!  What's a hippyuppymus to do?!?!

--
"go ahead, make my day. BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM"
	-- Ben Franklin