More on remailers.

mattd mattd at useoz.com
Sat Dec 22 05:03:27 PST 2001

 >>Seems to me like a straightforward economic analysis. Rates a remailer
operator will charge reflect his cost plus. If the rates become too high,
the remailer will go out of business. If customers perceive their privacy
is in danger because remailers are going bankrupt and the cloud is
shrinking, the remaining remailers will lose revenue and, in extremis,
again go out of business. Assuming that all users are using the network
roughly equally and therefore paying roughly the same, this suggests
there's a critical number of users necessary to keep a for-profit network
afloat. But change the assumption about paying equally, and the critical
number may approach one. "A small number of high-paying remailer customers"
could bankroll the remailer network by providing direct subsidies to the
remailer operators or giving out free can-be-used-for-remailing-only tokens
to anyone who asks. There might be better ways to do this, but it's late at
night and I'm getting pretty tired. But it seems like "yes" is the easy
answer to your question. -Declan <<

Straightforward economic analysis,how refreshing! From our resident
comped,bottom feeding scribbler. If its true Amazon just turned a profit
then the strong possibility exists that the 1st strong and trusted remailer
will eventually do the same.The need for remailing should tend to
exponential to anyone with a little imagination.A lot of people right now
are looking for a new Hawala,others for spam and AP,other horsemen type
uses and counters to the threats they pose.The AP threat to capitalism as
we know it should not be underestimated as also the threat to
infrastructure from hungry mobs,collapse of govts not prepared for,etc.The
dynamic effects and turbulence created could easily tear the large nodes to
bits.Slow but steady with distrib and P-P is agent Faustines bet and Ill
take her up on it.The fate of the earth might come down to a few decent
secret agents leaking us info and possibly taking direct action against
insane attempts to start ww4.Its late in our participation in mass
extinction events,Im getting tired as well.Say goodnight to joshua.