OpenSSL version 0.9.6c released

Bodo Moeller bodo at openssl.org
Sat Dec 22 08:29:57 PST 2001

OpenSSL version 0.9.6c released
===============================

OpenSSL - The Open Source toolkit for SSL/TLS
http://www.openssl.org/

The OpenSSL project team is pleased to announce the release of version
0.9.6c of our open source toolkit for SSL/TLS.  This new OpenSSL version
is mostly a bugfix release and incorporates at least 40 changes to the
toolkit (for a complete list see http://www.openssl.org/source/exp/CHANGES).

The most significant changes are:

    o Various SSL/TLS library bugfixes.
    o BIGNUM library fixes.
    o RSA OAEP and random number generation fixes.
    o Object identifiers corrected and added.
    o Add assembler BN routines for IA64.
    o Add support for OS/390 Unix, UnixWare with gcc, OpenUNIX 8,
      MIPS Linux; shared library support for Irix, HP-UX.
    o Add crypto accelerator support for AEP, Baltimore SureWare,
      Broadcom and Cryptographic Appliance's keyserver
      [in 0.9.6c-engine release].

We consider OpenSSL 0.9.6c to be the best version of OpenSSL available
and we strongly recommend that users of older versions upgrade as
soon as possible.  OpenSSL 0.9.6c is available for download via HTTP
and FTP from the following master locations (you can find the various
FTP mirrors under http://www.openssl.org/source/mirror.html):

  o http://www.openssl.org/source/
  o ftp://ftp.openssl.org/source/

[1] OpenSSL comes in the form of two distributions this time.
The reasons for this is that we want to deploy the external crypto device
support but don't want to have it part of the "normal" distribution just
yet.  The distribution containing the external crypto device support is
popularly called "engine", and is considered experimental.  It's been
fairly well tested on Unix and flavors thereof.  If run on a system with
no external crypto device, it will work just like the "normal" distribution.

The distribution file names are:

    o openssl-0.9.6c.tar.gz [normal]
    o openssl-engine-0.9.6c.tar.gz [engine]

Yours,
The OpenSSL Project Team...

  Mark J. Cox             Richard Levitte    Andy Polyakov
  Ralf S. Engelschall     Bodo Möller        Holger Reif
  Dr. Stephen Henson      Ulf Möller         Geoff Thorpe
  Ben Laurie              Lutz Jänicke