More on remailers.

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Sat Dec 22 11:29:51 PST 2001

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 01:21:27PM -0800, Len Sassaman wrote:

| In conclusion, I leave you with a question: if remailer users are reduced
| to a small number of high-paying remailer customers for whom anonymity is
| not a game, but a matter of life or death, could a mix-net be made to
| provide any sufficient degree of security? "No" is the easy answer. Say
| yes, and prove it.

No.  If your anonymity set is small, then using the system calls
attention to you, and your adversary can simply attack all the users
with physical layer attacks (bugged keyboards, video cameras in
ceilings, tempest, etc.).  Further, if the user set is small you're
probably more concerned with unobservability than with unlinkability
or untracability.

Adam

					               -Hume