Pay per use remailers and remailer reliability tracking.

Michael Motyka mmotyka at lsil.com
Fri Dec 21 14:31:11 PST 2001

Steve Schear <schear at lvcm.com> wrote :

>I won't run an exit remailer because of the obvious risks  Does Ian G's

>Hotmail exit code still work?  Is this practical?
>
>steve

Entry and intermediate remailers seem moderately safe.

Isn't there anything that can be done about reducing the risks of
running an exit remailer?

Since the assumption is that the attacker sees all of the network
traffic then they already know who is getting mail from the exit node.
Why not get each recipient who is getting mail for the first time to
sign a waiver of some sort before they can pick up their mail. When an
unsigned user gets a mail they are sent a notification mail explaining
what remailers are, roughly how they work, some of the perceived
problems with what might be sent via a remailer etc. Then tell them how
to sign the waiver and give them a deadline before their waiting message
is deleted. Some signing options might be : propagate to other
remailers, one-time use, expiration date, refuse all mail, delete any
mail w/o delivery code etc...

Faustine <faustine at lokmail.net> wrote :

> If the government put me in charge of subverting the
> remailer network, I think the first thing I'd do is
> round myself up a nice batch of friendly, respectable
> "professionals" with shiny impressive "professional"
> credentials (tailored exactly to match what "well-known
> organizations" are looking for) and infiltrate the
> hell out of every single organization running a node.

So go into business building remailer machines. Develop the appropriate
tamper resistance/detection systems and place them on sites the same way
vending machines are handled. The site lease could be based on auditable
bandwidth and power consumption. The site owner doesn't need to know
jack about e-gold or tokens or even remailers for that matter. If you
could adjust the bandwidth throttle based on time of day you could offer
people a way to get paid for their unused nighttime bandwidth. Just
needs good HW/SW and a good contract. Instead of Carnivore you can call
it an IceBox.

Mike

Let's assume the night bandwidth is free, what's the electricity cost?
$15/month?
The amortization on the equipment? $50/month?