Pay per use remailers and remailer reliability tracking.

Ryan Lackey ryan at havenco.com
Thu Dec 20 15:52:50 PST 2001

As much as I love the idea of using electronic cash for remailers,
given the current state of things, I think it's not the first thing
which should be done for remailers.

1) We don't yet *have* an electronic cash system with sufficient volume to
cover this -- you'd want a general-use electronic cash system where
purposes like this were a small part, otherwise the billing records
show all remailer users.  (unless you used a system like hashcash,
which will eliminate spam, but not compensate remailer operators)

2) Remailed messages would fall into the "millicent ghetto" -- how
much do you think messages will cost?  If the goal is ecash, why not
focus on higher-value but clear market-demand apps?  If the goal is
improving remailers, there are some other things which can be done
first (and which are essential steps to an ecash based remailer
anyway).  If the goal is actually ecash-based remailers just as a cool
thing, then please do the other fixes first anyway :)

3) Ease of use -- it's hard enough to run mixmaster already.  The low
hanging fruit would be in automating key management, packaging *well*
for debian, redhat, etc., and fixing a bunch of the random bugs in
mixmaster which cause it to blow up on certain From: addresses.  If it
were possible to run mixmaster 3 with *no* real user intervention (no
need to subscribe to flamey mailing lists, no need to manually fuck
with people who change keys, no need to watch a list to edit people's
capstrings, etc. -- then more people would run remailers.

This goes double for clients.  In the case of remailers, increasing
volume *does* enhance privacy; if we didn't care about volume, we'd
just use a bunch of rooted boxes through netcafes to send high-value
anonymous messages...remailers are only useful with volume, and
legitimate applications make them easier to defend.

There's certainly a need to compensate remailer operators, but the
$10/month or so a remailer network would likely provide through ecash
is probably not the way to do it.  What does it cost to run a
remailer:

* A box (pretty low spec; mine is a 533Mhz celeron and does other
  stuff too, and has never had a problem)
* Reasonable network connectivity (56Kbps fulltime, DSL,
  leased...maybe moving on to DSL or leased at a minimum for
  interesting stuff)
* Some level of agility or fault-tolerance on the link, so you can
  operate in the face of complaints
* A "fuck the law" attitude (.45s or J.D. optional)

What do remailer operators want:
* Ego boost
* "Doing something cool"
* Social respect from peers.
* Low overhead and hassle
* Entertainment (I *love* reading abuse at remailer.havenco.com)
* Personal use of remailer for nefarious purposes (freedom of anonymity only
  truly belongs to he who owns the anonymizer)

I think the best way to get remailers widely deployed is:

1) Create a version of mixmaster which is much more self-running, at
least on UNIX, OSX, and cygwin, and allows cpunks, mixmaster, and
maybe future constant-rate or stego or other interesting transports as
plugins -- make keying be a policy decision but with the code smart
enough to handle updates within authority delegated to it by the
operator.

2) Make it easy to install a remailer; "apt-get install mixmaster" and
maybe a few questions, all of which should have sensible defaults, so
you can just hold down return and get a working, productive (if not
optimal) remailer.

3) Promote the remailer and applications which make use of the
remailer (there's nothing I've seen, other than pingers and remailer
infrastructure, which uses remailers programmatically in some cool
way.  Some kind of ok-with-high-latency application -- ecash tunneled
through remailers?  Another blacknet test?  An anonymous-only message
board?  Web publishing?  Whatever.

4) Some kind of internal or external benefits to remailer operators.
Something along the lines of "I will throw a party at DefCon with free
(heh) ---- and -----s for the first 20 people who can prove control of
mixmaster remailer keys which transit test messages I send throughout
the year (selected based on normal client criteria, such as uptime,
latency, etc.)".  Someone could presumably donate money in a similar
fashion.  This would provide some level of decoupling from "bank
accounts of those who sponsor remailers" and "remailer users".
("convince legions of 18-25 year old females that remailer operators
are the best in bed" would be ideal, but is probably not going to happen)

5) Get more companies, universities, and non-profits to run remailers,
as they have machines, relatively untouchable network feeds.  Why is
there no EFF remailer?  Why is there no ACLU remailer?  Why is there
no ZKS remailer?  I mainly started the havenco remailer for social
and intellectual purposes, but there are slight marketing benefits to
it as well.  I'm sure people (me.  you?) would be willing to provide
time to help worthwhile organizations set up remailers.  Back in the
day big companies would run public ftp sites for the common good; I
think any organization dealing with any volume of mail today should
feel socially pressured to run a remailer.

6) Deal with the spam issue -- integrate something like nilsima into
mixmaster directly, none of this procmail hackery (which I haven't
bothered to configure myself).  This would eliminate "whitelists" and
other cruft which decrease the reliability of the remailer network
substantially.  Doesn't stop mailing list or newsgroup spam, but it's
fucking 2001 (almost 2002) -- if you care that much about the 0.1
seconds of time to delete a piece of spam, your list should be
filtered, moderated, or posting limited to subscribers only.

7) Provide a UI which doesn't suck for users -- including better
web-based interfaces (perhaps as part of the base distribution?) with
anti-spam measures (mixmaster+nilsima may be enough, but "copy this
image number down" might be needed.

8) Some kind of two-way communications -- which I will happily host,
as I'm sure others will as well -- providing remailer-accessed
mailboxes, return addresses, etc.  Less private, more linkable, but
still pretty anonymous, as you could require all the messages to be
encrypted (or not), and the initial user-to-mailbox delivery is
reliable; even if the remailer network is unreliable, you could do
return receipts with your own client such that it will retransmit
through the chain of remailers a couple times if need be, until you
can guarantee receipt, before deleting from the server.  Most of the
"antisocial" remailer-facilitated activities are hit-and-run; most of
the *good* remailer uses require a persistent identity and two-way
communications.  (and, paying for a real mailbox is something which is
not in the millicent ghetto; $20/year for a mailbox is entirely
common, and people might be willing to pay a substantial premium for
anonymity)

So, while I'd really like to see ecash, I think remailers need some
other work first, before they could really benefit from the effort
required to create an ecash system from scratch, deploy it, scale it,
and then use it for this application.  Not that I'm saying an ecash
system isn't worthwhile for its own sake, though :)

Ryan Lackey [RL7618 RL5931-RIPE]	ryan at havenco.com
CTO and Co-founder, HavenCo Ltd.	+44 7970 633 277
the free world just milliseconds away	http://www.havenco.com/
OpenPGP 4096: B8B8 3D95 F940 9760 C64B  DE90 07AD BE07 D2E0 301F