MS DRM OS

georgemw at speakeasy.net georgemw at speakeasy.net
Thu Dec 20 11:39:14 PST 2001

On 20 Dec 2001, at 9:20, Michael Motyka wrote:

> My thought is that it is not novel in any way save that it witholds root access
> from the owner of the machine.

I think it does a little more than that.  "Deny the luser owner
root access" is sufficient to explain how the luser is prevented
from copying or modifying the trusted content, but it doesn't
explain how "trusted" apps can access the data.
In essence, deny the luser root access + all programs signed
by microsoft automatically run as root. Neither piece alone
would be innovative enough to be patentable, but maybe the combo
is.

George