MS DRM OS

Graham Lally scribe at exmosis.net
Tue Dec 18 16:38:16 PST 2001

Ralph Wallis wrote:

> On Monday, 17 Dec 2001 at 07:58, Michael Motyka <mmotyka at lsil.com> wrote:
>
>>Could someone who knows more than I do explain to me why this MS "IP" is
>>anything other than making the owner of a PC unable to have root access
>>to their own hardware/OS? If so it seems to be an idea unworthy of
>>protection from lawyers and men with guns.
>>

> A more correct analogy is with speed limiters on cars.

On your own roads. And the car maker tells you where you can go to. And
which route you have to take. And where you can end up. And then forces
you to pay for a map.

If the patent hasn't been picked up by the courts yet, then why not?
*If* the SSSCA were to come into effect (and I have heard little about
it for several months now... biding its time?), then surely all other
OSes (subject to legal boundaries) would be prevented by the patent from
implementing the requirements in the bill?

...and to appease the pedanty, it's hard to have a /more/ correct
analogy when there was no analogy in the first place. There, got it out
of my system...

.g

--
"Sometimes I use google instead of pants."