Jonah Goldberg Has It Ass Backwards

Matthew Gaylor freematt at coil.com
Tue Dec 18 18:52:46 PST 2001

[Note from Matthew Gaylor:  Last Thursday I sent a posting titled
"Cultural libertarianism the real threat to America?" See:
Online Editor Jonah Goldberg where he made the claim that good
character is fostered by limiting freedom". Goldberg was quick to
point out however that he personally has "done lots of things in
[his] life that are "un-conservative." His hypocrisy aside, Goldberg
again restates his belief on the merits of limiting freedom by
writing "Without character-forming institutions which softly coerce
(persuade) kids - and remind adults -...", paradoxically claiming
that such "coercion" is needed to foster our "open, free, and
tolerant culture over others."...  Ay caramba!  Here we have what is
colloquially referred to as compassionate conservatism, the notion
that government is a loving father and that it's citizens are it's
children. Goldberg aspires to an ideology that isn't even American,
an ideology antithetical to liberty, and which is the underlaying
ideological underpinning of the totalitarian state.  The great
American author James Fenimore Cooper wrote that "Individuality is
the aim of political liberty.  By leaving to the citizens as much
freedom of action and of being as comports with order and the rights
of others, the institutions render him truly a freeman.  He is left
to pursue his means of happiness in his own manner."  Goldberg has it
ass backwards, it is freedom and the respect of the rights of others
that is inculcated in our institutions not the removal of freedom by
our institutions that makes American culture superior.  It is said
that the road to hell is paved with good intentions or as the great
American libertarian writer  H.L. Mencken opinioned "Whenever A
annoys or injures B on the pretense of saving or improving X, A is a
scoundrel ."  So to Jonah Goldberg, I say go to hell.]

<http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg121801.shtml>

The Libertarian Lie By Jonah Goldberg, NRO editor
Responding to Nick Gillespie and Virginia Postrel.

Jonah Goldberg can be reached at (JonahEmail at aol.com).

December 18, 2001 3:35 p.m.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Yesterday I responded to Andrew Sullivan. Today I
respond to the libertarians, primarily Reason magazine editor Nick
Gillespie and former Reason editor Virginia Postrel. Virginia, whom I
consider a friend, has also linked to numerous other sites taking me
to task. I know that many readers are uninterested by these doctrinal
squabbles. But others are, and I think they're worthwhile.
Regardless, I promise this is the last you will hear from me about
such things for a while. I'll be getting back to meat-and-potatoes
G-Files starting tomorrow.

Lighten Up, Libertarians

Before we get to the heart of all this, let me address perhaps my
biggest peeve about libertarians. Trust me, it's relevant. They are,
without a doubt, the most defensive and thin-skinned group on the
Right - far more so than Christian conservatives, gay Republicans,
whoever. Maybe it's because so many of them became libertarians in
the first place in order to escape criticism of any kind, or maybe
it's because there's something about libertarianism that excites the
region of the brain responsible for religious utopianism, or maybe
it's the accumulated resentment at being in the backseat of the
right-wing coalition - I don't know. But I am continually amazed by
how so many libertarians can maintain a tone and posture of reflexive
defensiveness and moral superiority, simultaneously.

Out of the hundreds of e-mails I got from angry libertarians, a
sizable majority simply asserted that I didn't understand
libertarianism. Not that I was wrong in the application of my
analysis, or that I was being unfair or overly broad - but that I
simply don't "get" it.

Now, as I conceded yesterday in my response to Andrew Sullivan, last
Wednesday's column was not surgical in its argumentation, so I'm open
to some thoughtful criticism on that score. But I get these letters
anytime I write anything critical of libertarianism. Liberty magazine
runs regular squibs mocking me for my obtuseness. Harry Browne, the
2000 Libertarian Party candidate, went out of his way to lecture me -
on NRO - to explain how I don't get it.

Virginia Postrel suspects that my "anti-libertarian outbursts" stem
from a desire to get her and other libertarians to link to my site.
Well, we can put aside the suggestion that it's a web-traffic bonanza
to get linked on something called "Libertarian Samizdata" (I actually
lose traffic when I indulge my anti-libertarian bent). But Postrel
seems to believe my arguments are so silly that they're better
explained by some sort of cynical ploy. Hell, I've even got my own
Greek chorus at LewRockwell.com, which can barely go a week without
singing some tune about how I'm slow on the uptake (or how Abraham
Lincoln tempted Eve into taking a bite of the apple).

So let me just say once and for all: I'm sorry, but your philosophy
ain't that complicated. I think I've got a handle on it: The
government uses force, so we should keep it limited; open society;
maximize human freedom; respect contracts; free minds, free markets,
blah blah blah. I get it. Good stuff. Thanks.

In fact, I thought the whole point of libertarianism was that it's
simple. I mean, whenever I hear libertarians trying to convert
people, they always make their creed sound so uncomplicated. They
begin their sentences with, "We libertarians simply believe X"; or,
"Libertarianism is just a partial philosophy of life." Harry Browne
says conservatism is worse than libertarianism because it can't give
you "one sentence" answers on every political issue. In fact, he
makes libertarianism sound like a warm bath you can slip into to melt
all your political cares and concerns away.

And that's all fine. Except for the fact that when criticized, all of
a sudden libertarianism becomes this deeply complex body of thought
with all sorts of Kantian categories and esoteric giggling about
"rational fallibility" flying all about (many of my blogger critics
actually sound like self-parodies). On offense, you guys are like the
"Drink Me" bottle in Alice in Wonderland, or Morpheus's pill in The
Matrix. But on defense, you turn on the smoke machines and cloud the
room up with faculty-lounge verbiage. You can't have it both ways.

And besides, there's nothing particularly wrong with simple
philosophies - which is why I'm pretty much a libertarian when it
comes to the federal government. Regardless, please spare me the
more-sophisticated-than-thou crap. When smart people (and I've always
said libertarians are very smart) - whether they're Marxists,
libertarians, whatever - claim that other smart people "just don't
get" very simple ideas, they only lend credence to the impression
that their intellectual adherence is the product of a religious
impulse. Or, they just sound obnoxious.

Gillespie's Pose

Which brings me, inexorably, to Nick Gillespie's response to my
column last Wednesday, which Virginia Postrel tells us is "the best
so far (of course)." To his credit, Nick doesn't resort to a fog of
jargon, merely a typical tone of smirking self-amusement and
condescension (but who am I to criticize tone?). We do actually agree
on quite a bit. I've long argued that libertarianism will be the real
challenger to conservatism, and I've long conceded that I'm - to use
his word - "anxious" about it. Nick makes this observation sound like
this is some sort of penetrating analysis of the subtext when in fact
it's pretty much just the text.

Let's be clear about a few other observations Nick seems eager to
pass off as penetrating insights. He chuckles, "It's a funny thing,
but conservatives are never so quick to call Rorschach on one of
their own: For instance, when it came to light a few years ago that
George Roche III, the fabled president of conservative Hillsdale
College, had been carrying on with his unstable and suicidal
daughter-in-law for years, that twisted scene carried no definitive
ideological import."

It's an even funnier thing that Nick uses this example - since it was
National Review, specifically my colleague John Miller, who broke the
story of George Roche III in the first place. Not only did NR make a
big deal about Roche, we did it first and more than once - despite a
long association with Hillsdale College and Mr. Roche. If Gillespie
cannot find the "definitive ideological import" in National Review's
integrity in policing the Right, that's his shortcoming, not ours.

But then Nick has, I think, a much harder time "getting" National
Review than I have understanding Reason. "Nothing exercises National
Reviewers quite so much as the sense that despite their standing
athwart history yelling stop, it still keeps on a rollin' without
them," Gillespie writes. He later adds: "[I]t only makes sense that
conservatives and libertarians would start to line up on different
sides of the barricades that surround the battleground of individual
choice and autonomy."

That's all cute and fine, and I'm sure it plays well in letters to
subscribers. But it's worth noting that while I am against drug
legalization, Bill Buckley and the editors of National Review called
for - and continue to call for - an end to the drug war, and for the
legalization of drugs, when Reason was little more than an obscure
pamphlet.

Nick might read a bit deeper into Hayek as well. Like so many other
libertarians, Nick pulls out Hayek's excellent essay "Why I am Not a
Conservative" as some sort of grand trump card. I admit this is
another peeve of mine, but Hayek did not call himself a "libertarian"
in that essay, as Nick gamely suggests. In fact, he explicitly
rejected the label, calling it "singularly unattractive." "The more I
learn about the evolution of ideas," wrote Hayek, "the more I have
become aware that I am an unrepentant Old Whig - with the stress on
the 'old.'"

Old Whig just so happens to be the same appellation the founding
father of conservatism, Edmund Burke, used for himself - as Hayek
approvingly notes several times.

More important, the conservatives in "Why I Am Not a Conservative"
aren't even the ones Nick has so many problems with. Hayek was
referring to the conservatives of the European tradition (de Maistre,
Coleridge, et al), and he was a great deal more generous even to them
than the folks at Reason are to the American conservatives of today.

Which is a shame because, as I pointed out in my column last
Wednesday, Hayek argued that United States was the one place in the
world where you could call yourself a "conservative" and be a lover
of liberty - because we want to defend those institutions which
preserve it. And that's why - despite a lot of propaganda from the
folks at Reason - most conservatives are closer to classical liberals
than a lot of Reason-libertarians.

Cultural Libertarians, Again

And that gets us, finally, to the meat of our disagreement. I say
"cultural libertarians" are people unwilling to draw value judgments
between various personally defined lifestyle choices, or "personal
cultures." In response, legions of libertoids cry: "Not fair!"
"You're talking about 'libertinism,'" say some. "Libertarians are
just unwilling to use the state to coerce others into subscribing to
our value judgments," say all.

Again, fine, fine - I get it. But I'm also not talking about most of
the people who read my column and refer to themselves as
libertarians. Most of these folks are fairly conservative people;
they want a smaller government, and, hey, so do I. That's why I put
the word "cultural" in front of the phrase in the first place. I'm
beginning to think we should simply call such people " anti-state
conservatives" and let the Reason types have the "singularly
unattractive" label of "libertarian" all to themselves.

The people I am talking about are people like Nick Gillespie and the
chirping sectaries on these various blog sites. These people quite
proudly proclaim that maximizing individual liberty, and minimizing
coercion by the state or the culture, is their mission. It's shouted
from the rooftops in just about every issue of Reason. In fact, it's
odd that Virginia cites Nick's rejoinder as the best so far - for a
number of reasons, among them that he more or less concedes the
lion's share of my argument. Nick concedes that he wants to maximize
the "right to exit from systems that serve them poorly."

Porn Versus Christianity

Take this porn thing. Virginia is fighting mad at me for writing that
she won't draw distinctions between pornography sales and
Christian-bookstore sales. But she admits that she has no opinion on
the issue, and concedes that many of my libertarian critics think
Christianity, even in a liberal order, is a "bad thing." Meanwhile
she also raves about this fellow Will Wilkinson who, according to
Virginia, "makes the good (and obvious but not to Jonah) point that
'If you ask whether porn or Christian books are better, you have to
ask "better in what respect?"'" "Goldberg owes us moral arguments
against pornŠ if he wants to be taken seriously."

Touché, I suppose. But doesn't this make my point? Cultural
libertarians are uncomfortable with, and quite defensive about,
drawing distinctions between such bedrock components of Western
civilization - in this case a little thing called "Christianity" -
and the latest installment of On Golden Blonde. According to these
guys, the burden is on me to explain why and how porn is worse than
Christianity. I'd be glad to do it sometime (though I'm hardly an
anti-porn zealot); it doesn't sound too tough.

Meanwhile, let's stay on track. Cultural libertarians, as Nick
readily concedes, don't "blindly respect 'established authority' the
way conservatives tend to." The "blindly" is, of course, a cheap
shot, but we'll let it go. That's my point. We're not talking about
the state here; we're talking about the culture - the thousands of
ingredients which, in various amounts, combine to form the recipe for
Western civilization generally and American culture specifically.

Virginia even faults me for not making the positive case for Western
civilization in the same column - which, aside from being a fairly
high standard for any argument, also seems to underscore the point
that these folks don't see its superiority as a given. To the
cultural libertarian, all authoritative cultural norms should be
scrutinized again and again.

But just to be clear, some of the ingredients for Western
civilization I have in mind are such categories as Christianity and
religion in general, sexual norms, individualism, patriotism, the
Canon, community standards of conduct, democracy, the rule of law,
fairness, modesty, self-denial, and the patriarchy. Obviously, all
cultures have these things (or their equivalent). But it is the
combination of ingredients - and their relative potency toward one
another - that make the recipe for Western civilization unique.

The Libertarian Dodge

It's also obvious that - just like conservatives, liberals, and the
unaligned - cultural libertarians like some of these things a great
deal, and some only a little, and others not at all. We all have our
own suggestions for how we should improve the culture. But when
criticized on their cultural priorities, they get all defensive and
claim they aren't making a subjective cultural argument. "We're just
neutral. We just want the state out of things." But then they go
right along mocking the cultural choices of conservatives, and of
anyone who respects the established cultural authority more than they
do. Nick makes it sound like it's a concession to allow cultural
conservatives to make their arguments at all, though I doubt he would
be so grudging about allowing a polygamist make his arguments.

Because I won't brag about my past experiences with drugs or
extrapolate from those experiences a pro-drug stance, Nick
grandiosely says that my hypocrisy is "the vice virtue pays to
tyranny" (taking, in effect, the position that current or former
gluttons should always proclaim that gluttony is good for everybody).
Well, if hypocrisy is such a crime, what about the persistent
hypocrisy of those libertarians who say that they are "neutral" on
cultural questions while they constantly make undeniably cultural
arguments?

Nick is on record denouncing America as a "grotesquely prohibitionist
society" when it comes to drugs, and he's nigh upon orgiastic about
the spread of pornography. If the anti-state conservatives who prefer
the label "libertarian" want to tell me that the editor of Reason is
unrepresentative of libertarianism, fine. But maybe you should
consider the possibility that it's you who are unrepresentative of
libertarianism.

Look, the libertarian critique of the state is useful, valuable,
important, and much needed. But, in my humble opinion, the
libertarian critique of the culture - "established authority" - tends
to be exactly what I've always said it was: a celebration of personal
liberty over everything else, and in many (but certainly not all)
respects indistinguishable from the more asinine prattle we hear from
the Left. (The great compromise between libertarians and
conservatives is, of course, federalism see " Among the Gender
Benders").

Personal liberty is vitally important. But it isn't everything. If
you emphasize personal liberty over all else, you undermine the
development of character and citizenship - a point Hayek certainly
understood.

Kids are born barbarians, as Hannah Arendt noted. Without
character-forming institutions which softly coerce (persuade) kids -
and remind adults - to revere our open, free, and tolerant culture
over others, we run the risk of having them embrace any old creed or
ideology that they find most rewarding or exciting, including some
value systems which take it on blind faith that America is evil and,
say, Cuba or Osama bin Laden is wonderful. That's precisely why
campuses today are infested with so many silly radicals, and why
libertarians in their own way encourage the dismantling of the
soapboxes they stand on. For cultural libertarians this is all
glorious, or at least worth the risks. I just wish more libertarians
had the guts to admit it. I disagree. I also wish some of them had
the guts to admit it.

###
Distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.
---