spam and Remailers

georgemw at speakeasy.net georgemw at speakeasy.net
Tue Dec 18 15:54:32 PST 2001

On 18 Dec 2001, at 14:42, Meyer Wolfsheim wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, David Honig wrote:
>
> > Can't spam be repelled by not forwarding email not encrypted to
> > the remailer's key?
>
> Who is to say that spammers won't use remailer clients that automatically
> encrypt to the remailers' keys?

Wouldn't it HAVE to do that if they want their spam forwarded?
I mean, doesn't the remailer perform one layer of decryption
to find the address that it's supposed to next forward the message
to?

Say, what IS the situation with spam and remailers anyway?
are spammers really trying to use the mixmaster network to
send lots of spam, or is it more like that the remailers get sent lots
of spam and have to filter it out because it would take too
long to process?  I mean, does spam follow the protocol?

> Using remailer clients should be *easy*. Saying "this is too hard for the
> average spammer to figure out" isn't acceptable.

You know what else should be easy?  Setting up and running a
remailer! So why shouldn't an ambitious spammer set up his
own remailer server? Or better yet, a whole bunch of them?
Except instead of sending dummy traffic, it sends spam.
This is actually a really good thing from remailer security,
because a dummy message that ends up telling
some fool about russian porn sites ot nigerian graft opportunities is
much more befuddling to an attacker than one
that just disappers, right?

George