CIA in NYC

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Tue Dec 18 11:27:42 PST 2001

> Young[SMTP:jya at pipeline.com]
>

> The report a while back in the NY Times on the secret
> CIA station located in 7 World Trade Center, claimed
> its primary role was to surveil UN members and staff.
> And its cover was the Secret Service office in the
> building (which also housed NYC's Emergency
> Operations).
	[...]

> Now whether bin Laden, or whoever planned the attack,
> knew of this, or suspected it, could enrich the speculation
> about why the towers were targeted.

	[...]

> But don't expect any findings to be made public is this
> is the case, for that might require delving into which
> operations in the Center invited retaliation by those
> who had been attacked by them.

John:

Remember to apply Occam's razor occasionally. The WTC
towers were one of the best known landmarks around the
world, were filled with people, stood well clear of the
surrounding buildings, and symbolized the globalization/
Americanization of the world UBL hates.

The WTC towers were (from UBLs presumed viewpoint)
about the best US targets he could have picked, simply from
a PR, ideology, and practicality standpoint. The presence
of a CIA office in a neighbouring building was not required
to make the WTC towers target #1.

I used to work at 101 Barclay Street, across the street from
WTC #7. I watched it going up from my office window. I hated
the building - it blocked my view south. 101 Barclay seems to
have survived with little damage, possibly because WTC7
shielded it from the falling debris of #1 & #2, and later #7
fell almost staight down.

Peter Trei

This e-mail, its content and any files transmitted with it are intended
solely for the addressee(s) and are PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  Access by any other party is unauthorized without the express
prior written permission of the sender.  If
you have received this e-mail in error you may not copy, disclose to any
third party or use the contents, attachments or
information in any way, Please delete all copies of the e-mail and the
attachment(s), if any and notify the sender.
Thank You.