Cypherpunk Ban

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Mon Dec 17 09:19:41 PST 2001

I've checked CJ's probation conditions and there's no mention
of cypherpunks, though POs can probably set any condition
they like. Or can they? The original conditions of release
proposed by the PO included a ban on computer possession
or use which was deleted by the judge. The judge also deleted
a ban on use or possession of a slew of computer peripherals
and programs.

The 7-page judgment and release conditions in multi-image
TIFF format:

  http://cryptome.org/cej-083.tif (202KB)

I seem to recall transcribing this doc months ago but
can't locate it.

The probation report posted here yesterday in its original
TIFF format:

  http://cryptome.org/cej-118.tif  (84KB)

And the case docket with links to the six records
available online (the two above and four others):

  http://cryptome.org/usa-v-cej-dkt.htm

A clap of the hands to Western Washington District for
putting case records online. Not many federal courts do
that. A few offer decisions but hardly any records are
available. Records in the terrorism trials in New York
should be put online in the public interest.

We downloaded the 293 records in the Ahmed Ressam
terrorism case (initiated in Western Washingtion, tried
in Los Angeles). The most recent records made public
are those unsealed after action by the Seattle Times in
October. We've transcribed a few of them along with
the Times' impressive public interest argument for
release (i.e., the public needs to know as much as
possible about terrorism to address self-protection):

  http://cryptome.org/ar/usa-v-ar-stu.htm