FBI Surveillance Software to be Part of Windows XP Updates (fwd)

Michael Motyka mmotyka at lsil.com
Fri Dec 14 08:19:14 PST 2001

georgemw at speakeasy.net wrote :

>On 13 Dec 2001, at 22:33, Jei wrote:
>
>> "We are confident that Microsoft and the government will limit the
use of
>> this technology only to targets relevant to legitimate
investigations," he
>> added, further underscoring the cult's faith in federal law
enforcement
>> organisations. "The FBI has a long history of following Title 18 to
the
>> letter."
>
>This has to be a joke/hoax.
>
>George

No doubt tongue in cheek.

But a couple of questions :

Do you doubt that many in law enforcement think that universally
backdoored systems would be right and good for society?

Is it easier to achieve the dream of monitored systems if the OS
business is highly monopolistic or if it is chaotic?

Mike