Sameer on the History of Remailers

R. A. Hettinga rahettinga at EarthLink.Net
Wed Dec 12 20:33:02 PST 2001

At 6:31 PM -0700 on 12/12/01, Anonymous wrote:

> http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue2/remailers/
>
> ... what that CNN article wanted to say.

One of the few articles on First Monday that doesn't make me bust out
laughing. (The second one was by Tatsuo Tanaka about the macroeconomic
effects of digital cash, however much I disagreed with his conclusions...)

The fact that I edited both had *absolutely* nothing to do with that
opinion of course. :-).

Seriously, I didn't have any real idea how chains of remailers worked until
I read Sameer's paper for publication, and, to this day, it is, by far, the
clearest explanation of how they work that you can find anywhere.

About a year later, I got roundly bitch-slapped on this list by Mr. May one
afternoon about what a silly liberal-relativist academic navel-gazing
exercise First Monday had become by that point, if it wasn't one from the
outset, and, upon some reflection, I agreed, resigning my founding
editorial board seat there sometime shortly thereafter. It was quite
flattering to be put on the "masthead" of the first "peer-reviewed journal
of the internet", or whatever. Looked nice on the resume, certainly. Not
that anyone needs a resume, anymore, now that Google goes back to 1981...

Cheers,
RAH

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA