Steganography, My Ass: The Dangers of Private and Self-Censorship in Wartime

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Dec 12 09:27:37 PST 2001

    --
On 12 Dec 2001, at 10:39, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> * Is it appropriate to use the powerful word "censorship"
> to describe what happened when the National Review dropped
> Ann Coulter? Coulter has other outlets that will publish
> her work; she is not muzzled. Like other news organizations
> with a certain perspective, the National Review has an
> implicit contract with their writers that says something
> like
> our-publication-has-a-distinct-point-of-view-and-we-don't-w
> ant-to-run- stuff-far-outside-of-it. In the absence of
> evidence to the contrary, it's reasonable to assume that
> she understood this implicit agreement when she signed up.
> More to the point, she (I recall) took her initial
> grievance over not running the column public and slammed
> the editors, who then axed her. Using "censorship" to
> characterize the facts of this dispute weakens the term for
> when it's really needed -- to describe government action
> that puts people in prison cells.

There has been far more concern about opponents of the war
being intimidated than supporters.  Yet the nearest thing to
real censorship happened to Ann Coulter, for calling for holy
war against Muslims.  Meanwhile college professors loudly
complain that the occupants of the trade towers had it coming
to them for imperialism, colonialism, and oppression, and
keep their jobs, and a comic strip spits on the flag, and is
not dropped.

What happened to Ann Coulter is not censorship, but it is lot
closer to censorship than the fact that the tenured
supporters of terror find themselves mentioned as tenured
supporters of terror.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     ECRQ3GNzWa3w1DfiuPn0yEoQADgEGvtt2hHaEfve
     4/reRMzTElycsdxaYn+TsS9bCQ0dkjGh1f8NApxoB