Steganography, My Ass: The Dangers of Private and Self-Censorship in Wartime

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Wed Dec 12 08:20:28 PST 2001

At 10:39 AM 12/12/01 -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>PS: Not all libertarians believe the "the public responsibilities of
>the press are a myth." It's entirely possible to reconcile that phrase
>with the idea that a newspaper is a for-profit business.

I'm afraid the closest I can come is to recognize that a presscorp
(or reporter!) has only its reputation to sell; and when bias is exposed
that is
reduced.  But no 'public' anything; a newspaper (like a web server) does not
need a 'public' license to use a 'public' resource like the EM spectrum or
the cable infrastructure.

Just my 2 picas.