UPI editor: dissent is like soviet propoganda

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Dec 11 09:20:08 PST 2001

Well, by your standards, any journalist who makes an innocent mistake would
be a liar. I think the truth is that the reporters honestly believed they
had a solid story -- but their editors should have stepped in and killed it
or postponed it until they had unearthed more evidence. Reporters can get
carried away on a story and lose focus; this is why you have multiple
layers of editors at most news organizations. I don't remember how the
videotape was edited -- you may be right; I just don't remember the details.

-Declan
Disclaimer: I worked at Time Inc. at the time but was not involved with the
story -- I didn't see it until it hit the airwaves/newsstands.