Nov-L: Narco News wins big! http://www.narconews.com/ (fwd)

measl at mfn.org measl at mfn.org
Mon Dec 10 12:37:02 PST 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:45:00 -0800
From: Nora Callahan <nora at november.org>
To: november-l at november.org
Subject: Nov-L: Narco News wins big! http://www.narconews.com/

November Coalition members:

For about a year we have been covering this story in the Razor Wire and
periodic updates on this elist.

Nora

Subj:    Ross Regnart: Al  Giordano won his case against Bank in Mexico
now
owned by Citibank
Date:   12/8/2001 11:00:16 PM Eastern Standard Time
From:   lobo at renonevada.net (Ross)
To: Chswn at cs.com

  December 8, 2001
  A Narco News Global Celebration!

  Narco News Beats Banamex!

  -- NY State Supreme Court Dismisses All Charges against Mario
Menéndez, Al
  Giordano and The Narco News Bulletin

  -- "Narco-Bankers" Failed Despite Citigroup Merger

  -- Judge Paula Omansky: Free Speech Champion

  -- "Narco-Lobbyists" at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer and Feld humilliated;
McLish
  filed an insufficient complaint

  -- NO Jurisdiction over authentic journalist Mario Menéndez, publisher
and
  editor of the daily Por Esto! in Mexico

  -- Insufficient Complaint vs. Narco News and Al Giordano

  -- The Drug War Went on Trial And The Drug War Lost

  Stay Tuned for a Full Report:

  http://www.narconews.com/

  Narco News offers its profound thanks to our readers for your support
  throughout this expensive attack on our free speech and press freedom.

  We thank the many people who donated large and small contributions to
the
  "Drug War on Trial" defense fund to defeat the billionaires' abuse of
the
  legal system to attack cyber-liberties.

  We extend our congratulations and gratitude to Mario Menéndez in
Mérida,
  Yucatan, for his heroic work exposing corrupt white-collar drug
traffickers
  and how the US DEA and other government agencies protect them.

  Mario started a movement. And this movement, to expose the real powers
  behind the corrupt war on drugs, and to end the drug prohibition from
which
  they profit, will continue, and will triumph.

  We have not yet begun to fight!

  We offer our most profound thanks to Tom Lesser, counsel to Narco
News, and
  everyone at Lesser, Newman, Souweine and Nasser of Northampton,
  Massachusetts, particularly Libby Spencer and Karen Thatcher, who beat
the
  biggest lawyer-lobbyist firm in the world.

  Tom Lesser pitched a no-hitter against the Akin Gumpsters, the
overpaid
  incompetents who struck out at every time at bat against the great
civil
  liberties and free-speech barrister from Massachusetts.

  It is fair to say that without Tom Lesser, this immense victory would
not
  have been possible.

  We also thank the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), who valiently
filed
  an amicus brief on behalf of The Narco News Bulletin when other "press
  freedom" institutions ran from the fight.

  We also thank Marty Garbus, David Atlas and the team who defended
Mario
  Menendez so ably, whose teamwork and experience made this defense
  unstoppable against the biggest of foes.

  And we thank all the many colleagues in authentic journalism who wrote
  about, spoke about, reported on and investigated this case, and in
every
  single instance concluded what NY State Supreme Court Justice Paula
Omansky
  has just ruled: This billionaire's lawsuit should never have been brought.

  We are sure we have more people to thank, but frankly, it is Saturday
Night
  in a country called América, a night to celebrate. It's a world dance
party,
  from Cochabamba to your town.

  But be assured: We are not done with the billionaire Plaintiffs in
this
  case.

  They abused the court system and used their overpowering wealth to try
  overpower us. And they failed.

  We will consult with our attorneys and co-defendant, and announce the
next
  step in our legal strategy shortly. The aggressors will not be let off
the
  hook.

  We have anticipated this victory, and now phase two begins.

  To repeat: ALL three charges against all three defendants in the case
of
  Banco Nacional de Mexico (Banamex) vs. Mario Menéndez, Al Giordano and
Narco
  News have been dismissed by the New York State Supreme Court.

  Impacting...

 >From somewhere in a country called América,

  Al Giordano
  Publisher
  The Narco News Bulletin
  http://www.narconews.com/
  narconews at hotmail.com
--
The November Coalition, founded in 1997 is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit
organization, your gifts are tax deductible.

The November Coalition
795 South Cedar
Colville, WA 99114
--------
November-L is a voluntary mailing list of the November Coalition.