More damage to liberty than I expected.

Petro petro at bounty.org
Fri Dec 7 01:51:10 PST 2001

On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 04:51 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> An Metet wrote:
>>> Havenco's talked for a while about metastasizing,
>>> putting servers in a bunch of places for reliable fast performance
>>> for non-critical data and mainly keeping the critical database parts
>> There are persistent rumors that Havenco does not really host anything
>> on the platform, all bits are on dry land with VPN pipes to the
>> platform, so that it looks off-shore hosted.
>> In other words, the platform is a decoy, storage-wise.
>
> Server hosting is now a boring, commodity business.   You needs some
> marketing ploy to get mindshare from potential customers.
>
> The kind of people who decide where their company's servers are to be
> hosted are often the kind of people who used to make plastic models of

	No, the kind of people who decide where a company's servers are
going to be hosted are often the same people who write the check for
that service--the bean counters. With input from Bus-dev and Manglment.

> military hardware when they were kids. Who have coffee-table books about
> planes with lots of pointy bits. Maybe even ones who read Bruce Sterling
> novels. They also like to think that their data is Really Important.

	And no, I don't have coffee table books.

	And yes, my data is important. It helps generate my pay-check (not
that I would use Havenco for a colo, my data is important, but we don't
have that threat model).

--
"Remember, half-measures can be very effective if all you deal with are
half-wits."--Chris Klein