Delta airlines doesn't allow sick person to carry their meds

Greg Newby gbnewby at ils.unc.edu
Thu Dec 6 10:45:33 PST 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 10:29:40AM -0800, David Honig wrote:

> At 11:31 AM 12/6/01 -0500, Greg Newby wrote:
> >But insisting
> >on carrying smoking materials when smoking is prohibited
> >is also absurd -- it doesn't say if he was keeping
> >it on his person or trying to put it in checked
> >baggage, but it seems unlikely he would have had
> >any problem if it was checked.
>
> Just for the record you are still allowed to carry on a plane
> personal smoking items, eg., a butane lighter.  You can't
> use them of course, on US flights, but there is no
> prohibition.  [A camping tank of butane fuel is a no-no]

Of course!

BTW, this doesn't mean you can refill your zippo.  Every
year or so we hear about a plane that made an emergency
landing or arrested a passenger for bringing lighter
fluid (in a can) on board and refilling their lighter
en route.  Most of the airline magazines and other
places that list prohibited substances are pretty
explicit about lighter fluid being banned (yes, it's
OK if it's inside a disposable lighter).

> I don't see how plant matter can be used as a weapon unless the
> stems are waaay too big :-)

Ever seen a baseball bat :-)  ?

But smokable plant matter seems innocuous enough.  Next
thing, you won't be able to wear that hemp tie or shirt!
  -- Greg