Reputation of a Reputation

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Wed Dec 5 15:10:52 PST 2001

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Tim May wrote:

> By the way, a topic I talked about a month or two ago, the bogus nature
> of the _Economics_ prize, has been in the news. Some of the descendants
> of the Nobel family want the Economics prize to have no connection to
> the name "Nobel."
>
> Their claim is that Alfred Nobel didn't create or fund the prize, so why
> is it called "Nobel"?
>
> I think the subtext is that the Econ prize is trivializing the other
> prizes.

It's actually called the "Nobel Memorial Prize in Economics".

And even though "Moral Philosophy" is not a science, it is a bit easier to
award reasonable prizes in than Literature and Peace.  "Toni Morrison call
your agent."

DCF
----
"War was created so that men in primative societies would have a valid
excuse for deserting the wife and kids."