Bad Opsec: Afghan hills, atavan for geologists

Alfred Qaeda alqaeda at hq.org
Wed Dec 5 10:02:23 PST 2001

excerpts from
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-120501shroder.story
about the importance of operational security

Later CNN gave Shroder an enhanced copy of the complete tape. It
 revealed that the camera operator did not turn off the camera while he
 removed it from the tripod. As he tilted the camera up, the outline of
 the top of the ravine was caught on two frames.

Armed with this new information, Shroder was able to place Bin Laden
in a province in the south.

"They told me, 'You guys have made yourselves a little too vulnerable,'
" he said. Now, the nondescript room Shroder and his team use to
assemble and analyze maps of Afghanistan has been secured: digital
locks and 24-hour audio and video surveillance. "I'm now a worldwide
target."