Russian Party of Pensioners Manifesto

mattd mattd at useoz.com
Mon Dec 3 00:28:26 PST 2001

Thanks for that,Im going to publish it on Indymedia soon,real soon.

If you are into cryptoanarchy with the emphasis on the anarchy,you may
enjoy this...

Elliott Abrams, who had pleaded guilty in 1981 to lying to Congress over
the conduct of the war, was installed by the president to head his "office
for democracy and human rights". See Tom Lehrer again. His criminal offence
was described by White House spokesman Ari Fleischer as "a matter of the
past".
We used to say, NO to Western Imperialism and NO to Soviet Imperialism
both. Self determination for ALL PEOPLES!
One Empire has fallen. One still has to fall. But we should not mourn the
passing of the Soviet prison of nations.
The Minister of Education and the Minister of the Interior were
assassinated. Students and young workers, determined to destroy the
existing order, turned to the writings of Bakunin and Kropotkin for
inspiration and with dynamite and pistol hurled themselves against the State.
Working people, many of them recently arrived from the countryside to find
employment in the vast new factories, elected representatives from their
own class whom they could trust and whom they could remove at once if
unsatisfactory. Strikes paralysed production, oppressed national groups on
the borderlands rebelled, peasants burned and looted, and insurrection
broke out
The revolt, although short-lived, inspired the young anarchist movement. In
spite of increased repression, its 'Battle Detachments' raided gunshops and
armouries in search of the Browning pistols they cherished. Officials,
police and bosses were murdered and countless 'expropriations' of banks and
houses of the wealthy took place. Gun battles with police ended in death,
jail or torture.
This revolution, as a participant observed, was 'a purely spontaneous
phenomenon, not at all the fruit of party agitation.' People were 'fired by
a sense of unlimited freedom, a liberation from the restraints of their
society.'
'Down with Authority and Capitalism' on black banners.
Anarchists seized the mansions of the rich. One became 'The House of Rest',
with rooms for reading, discussion and recreation and a children's
playground in the garden.
world-wide revolution based on free federations of urban and rural communes.
In 1908 Nestor Makhno had been given a life sentence for the assassination
of a police chief. Freed in 1917, he was elected head of the Soviet of
Peasants and Workers in Gulyai-Polye. With an armed band marching behind a
huge black banner on which was proclaimed 'Liberty or Death- The Land to
the Peasants, the Factories to the Workers', Makhno began re-distributing
the estates to the peasants. In 1918, when Austrian and White armies
invaded the Ukraine, Makhno's partisans fought back: 'We will conquer not
so that we may follow the example of past years and hand over our fate to
some new master, but to take it in our own hands and conduct our lives
according to our own will and our own conception of truth'.
By the following spring the invaders were driven out and Gulyai-Polye was
free from external control. Organising regional conferences of peasants,
workers and insurgents, Makhno began to establish anarchist communes based
on equality and mutual aid.
At first the Bolsheviks hailed him as a 'courageous partisan' and 'great
revolutionary', but subsequently attacked him as an 'anarcho-bandit'. Two
Cheka agents were sent to assassinate Makhno, but the agents were caught
and themselves shot. When Makhno invited Red soldiers to the Congress, a
furious Trotsky declared him an outlaw, banned the Congress and sent troops
to break up the anarchist communes.
At this moment the Whites invaded again, driving on Moscow. Bolsheviks and
anarchists were sent reeling, yet Makhno's army counter-attacked
successfully. Trotsky used the time he had been given to re-organise the
Red Army. By Christmas the Whites were expelled. Makhno's anarchists
promptly entered Ekaterinoslav, threw open the jails and told the people
that they were now free to organise their own lives. Freedom of speech,
press and assembly was declared for all except authoritarian parties, which
were dissolved. Bolsheviks were advised to 'take up some honest trade'.
Again Trotsky outlawed Makhno and serious fighting raged for eight months
until Whites invaded yet again. Trotsky appealed for Makhno's help,
promising in return the release of all imprisoned anarchists and complete
freedom of expression, short of urging the overthrow of the Bolshevik
government. The Whites were finally defeated.
With victory secure, Trotsky shot all the Makhnovist military commanders,
attacked Makhno's HQ and wiped out the staff. The Cheka arrested members of
the Nabat in Kharkov; throughout Russia, anarchist clubs, groups and
newspaper offices were raided and closed down. Although badly wounded,
Makhno, together with the remnants of his insurgent army, evaded the
Bolsheviks for a year. Escaping eventually to Paris, he died in 1934 of
alcohol and TB.
Surviving anarchists launched a campaign of terror against the Bolsheviks.
In September 1921, they blew up the Communist Party Moscow, leaving 67 dead
or wounded.
The anarchists were an immense influence on the popular revolution because
their aims coincided with the people's desire to sweep away state and
capital. For a brief moment it did seem possible that a social revolution
would destroy all authority and create a decentralised society of
voluntarily cooperating free individuals. But the anarchists' warning that
power corrupts all who wield it - that authority stifles the revolutionary
spirit and robs people of freedom - was ignored.