Reputation of a Reputation

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Dec 3 18:09:49 PST 2001

On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 02:22 PM, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> Special agents should read the Economist in addition to NLECTC Law
> Enforcement & Corrections Technology News Summary
> http://www.nlectc.org/.
>

> http://WWW.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=S%26%2BX%28%2FQ%21%3B%26%0A
>
> The lemon dilemma
> Oct 11th 2001
> From The Economist print edition
>
> This year's Nobel prize for economics honours work inspired by a simple
> observation about used cars

By the way, a topic I talked about a month or two ago, the bogus nature
of the _Economics_ prize, has been in the news. Some of the descendants
of the Nobel family want the Economics prize to have no connection to
the name "Nobel."

Their claim is that Alfred Nobel didn't create or fund the prize, so why
is it called "Nobel"?

I think the subtext is that the Econ prize is trivializing the other
prizes.

"Economists win for "lemon analysis"" does not quite compare with
discovering basic laws of physics or chemistry, for example.

--Tim May
"Dogs can't conceive of a group of cats without an alpha cat." --David
Honig, on the Cypherpunks list, 2001-11