Moving beyond "Reputation"--the Market View of Reality

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 2 22:15:20 PST 2001

on Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 12:29:07PM -0600, Jim Choate (ravage at ssz.com) wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Dec 2001 jamesd at echeque.com wrote:
>
> > Our main interest in reputations is that the value of
> > someone's reputation will stop them from doing bad things.
>
> Actually not, most folks use reputations to do away with security checks
> they would use othewise. It's a sellers cost cutting measure. If you have
> a 'good' reputation my cost of diong secure and reliable business will
> probably(!!!) be lower.

Empirically demonstrated, on eBay, per the Economist.  Premium content
online:

http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=S%26%2BX8%2EQQ%23%25%0A

Nutshell summary:  reputation nets a 6.8% price advantage (a photo gets
you 11.3%).

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/