Jim Bell sentenced to 10 years in prison

Faustine a3495 at cotse.com
Fri Aug 31 12:21:03 PDT 2001

Jim wrote:
> On 29 Aug 2001, at 14:25, Faustine wrote:
>> Which reminds me, I don't know why people here seem to think
>> that any sort of "deception operation" would come from people
>> who show up using nyms to express unpopular opinions. (e.g.
>> "you said something I don't want to hear; threfore its FUD and
>> you're a fed.") On the contrary, a really first-rate deception
>> job would probably involve having someone post under their own
>> name and acting in apparent good faith for years, only
>> introducing the deceptive elements gradually, after they've had  ample
>> time to "overtly prove themselves trustworthy".
>
> You overestimate the subtlety and sophistication of the feds.

Hardly! Anyway, define "feds"--FBI field agents and the folks from Ft.
Meade and the think tanks are entirely different species. When, where and
to what degree the former implement recommendations from C3D2 studies done
by the latter is anyone's guess. And why be sure it's safe to assume they
aren't learning from past mistakes? That isn't exactly what I'd call being
in your best interest.

> Whether Aimee is a fed or not, her quite genuine ignorance made
> her incapable of knowing what views sounded cypherpunkish, and
> what views sounded violently anti cypherpunkish.  If she is a
> fed, she probably also goes around buying crack and pretending to  be a
> thirteen year old interested in sex talk.  And if the feds
> were to assign a fed to our list, that is the kind of fed they
> would assign.  That is all they have.

Bah, it's dangerous to be so sure. And all the fevered talk about Aimee
being a fed is hysterical.  Haven't you ever gone to a usenet group and
baited people just for the hell of it because you were bored? Because it
was fun to pull everyone's strings and watch them whine and howl and stomp
their tiny feet at you? I'm not saying I have the first clue about her
motivations, but you might want to keep in mind you dont have to be a fed
to enjoy playing the Devil's Advocate.

~Faustine.