News: "U.S. May Help Chinese Evade Net Censorship"

Faustine a3495 at cotse.com
Fri Aug 31 11:43:27 PDT 2001

Tim wrote:

>But, as with Kirchoff's point, the attacker is going to get the design
>eventually.

If getting the design "eventually" were good enough, why the keen interest
in putting in a large order for the beta? There's a reason.

Maybe in the long run, it's right to view any objections as being little
more than irrelevant, moralistic hand-waving. But I don't find the "they're
going to compromise it anyway so why not make a buck when we can" line of
reasoning particularly satisfying.

>The security of Freedom should not depend on even having access to the
>source code, else ZKS would be lying when they claim that even they
>cannot trace a message back to the sender. (Something which some may
>doubt...)

Do you?

> Either way, the prospects for "dissident-grade untraceability" are
> fairly bleak.

>You pontificate as if you know something about our field, when you
>clearly know very little. Get some education if you plan to pontificate
>like this.

You call that pontificating? My saying "Either way, the prospects
for "dissident-grade untraceability" are fairly bleak" is either
interesting enough to address, or it isn't (for whatever reason.) Going for
the gratuitous ad-hominem regarding whatever queer notions you happen to
have about what I know or don't know is quite beneath you.

>A mixnet of the N extant remailers offers pretty damned good
>untraceability. Needs some work on getting remailers more robust, but
>the underlying nested encryption looks to be a formidable challenge for
>Shin Bet to crack.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you a thing about the centrality of a secure
implementation. Likewise, I'm sure you know that being a "formidable
challenge" never prevented anything from being broken before, and it never
will.

All place-in-the-pecking-order issues aside, roughly how long do you think
it's going to take before "dissident-grade untraceability" becomes a
reality?  If anyone deigns to show me why the prospects are better
than "bleak", I'd love to be proven wrong.

~Faustine.