speech + action

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Fri Aug 31 11:03:16 PDT 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 mmotyka at lsil.com wrote:

> Where I think you misread me is this : I don't think that the government
> *has* this power, I think the way the laws are written and discussed,
> this degree of power is something for which they reach.

Which must be continously tested by 'controversial' speech through
mechanisms like mailing lists, anonymous remailers, data havens, etc. The
question is not what they do about it, but rather if they do anything at
all.

                                 Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

            natsugusa ya...tsuwamonodomo ga...yume no ato
            summer grass...those mighty warriors'...dream-tracks

                                            Matsuo Basho

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com