News: "U.S. May Help Chinese Evade Net Censorship"

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Aug 31 09:47:32 PDT 2001

    --
On 30 Aug 2001, at 14:41, Faustine wrote:
> Of course it has a trap door, that's probably the whole point
> of getting it over there in the first place. And by the way, if
> you're going to question SafeWeb for cooperating with CIA, you
> might as well criticize ZeroKnowledge for selling a boatload of
> the Freedom beta to the NSA in 1999 as well. What did they
> think they wanted it for, farting around on Usenet? I bet they
> had that sucker reverse-engineered and compromised in two
> minutes flat. Stands to reason.

 I think it most unlikely that they could compromise rot-13 in
two minutes flat, and as for reverse engineering, any decent
crypto system makes its engineering publicly available, so that
reverse engineering is quite unnecessary.  No one should ever use
a system that has to be reverse engineered.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     vmwKl1+31thMlrC2hl4XzwiD6EPSMqrBX8OqN5J0
     4qFXhFjCIcqlGNHPzxbUC4Kfz95pkdg5H60E8+j1v