The Privacy/Untraceability Sweet Spot

Fisher Mark fisherm at tce.com
Fri Aug 31 07:22:19 PDT 2001

>When you were asked where were all the supposed wealthy freedom fighters
>in communist controlled regimes, you came back with Osama bin Laden.

Tim's point, which many seem to have missed, is that by design a tool that
enforces the privacy, anonymity, and pseudonymity of a women striving for
equal rights in Afghanistan can also be used by the Taliban in their quest
to track down and kill Afghans who converted to Christianity and are now
preaching the Word.  Tools are tools -- the uses are what we make of them.
If you don't want to create tools that can be used for evil, then you must
forgo the making of tools.

Crypto anarchy is coming -- we had best prepare for it, lest it overwhelm
us.  In the end, I believe that it will result in more freedom for more
people, by restraining those in government from doing any silly thing they
like to us.  Although I see many people complain about the excesses of
corporations, in about every case I can think of the harm they did was
enabled by the collusion of government officials.  If you can restrain the
actions of government (by crypto anarchy, voting "the rascals out of
office", or whatever), you will generally improve the amount of freedom
people have to live their lives.
Mark Leighton Fisher            fisherm at tce.com
Thomson multimedia, Inc.        Indianapolis IN
"Display some adaptability." -- Doug Shaftoe, _Cryptonomicon_