The Privacy/Untraceability Sweet Spot

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Aug 30 20:09:25 PDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 09:12:50PM -0500, measl at mfn.org wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>
> <much true stuff snipped>
>
> > But
> > even given the tattered First Amendment, there is still a difference
> > between speech and action.
>
> Complete and utter bullshit.

"Measl" sometimes posts worthy stuff, so instead of flaming him, I'll
just say that much of First Amendment jurisprudence is based on the
distinctions between speech and action. It is not an absolute line,
of course, speech ("give me your money or else", falsely shouting
fire in a crowded theater, fighting words) can be suppressed, but it
is a useful distinction nonetheless.

-Declan