"U.S. May Help Chinese Evade Net Censorship"

Faustine a3495 at cotse.com
Thu Aug 30 14:11:32 PDT 2001

Mike wrote:
"Faustine" <a3495 at cotse.com> wrote :
>Adam wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 10:02:54AM -0700, Tim May wrote:
>| Alas, the marketing of such "dissident-grade untraceability" is
>| difficult. Partly because anything that is dissident-grade is also
>| pedophile-grade, money launderer-grade, freedom fighter-grade,
>| terrorist-grade, etc.
>>I think a larger problem is that we don't know how to build it.
>
>And as long as you have companies like ZeroKnowledge who are
>willing/gullible/greedy/just plain fucking stupid enough to sell their
>betas to the NSA, you never will.
>
>Holy faulty logic Batman! This has to be one of the more doofy things
>I've heard. It's right up there with the EMI Grounding Strap thread.
>What're you going to do, sell a product in CompUSA with instructions to
>the cashiers that the NSA is not allowed to buy it? If the NSA is
>willing to pay for some software that's great. They've got as much right
>to buy it as anyone else.

True, of course they do. "Technology is morally neutral," sure, whatever.
Yay capitalism. I still think handing over your security product beta on a
silver platter in exchange for a nice fat government contract is a stupid,
stupid idea.

>As long as they obey the law! and don't
>reverse engineer it, let them share in financing further development.

Do you really think that anyone would have the slightest qualm about
reverse engineering a product like this when "national security interests"
are at stake?

>I would find it more relevant to know which commercial product designs
>have been influenced by which non-commercial agencies.

Either way, the prospects for "dissident-grade untraceability" are fairly
bleak.

>oy g'vay ( sp? )

close enough. ;)

~Faustine.