News: "U.S. May Help Chinese Evade Net Censorship"

Faustine a3495 at cotse.com
Thu Aug 30 11:41:08 PDT 2001

Tim wrote:

>And I have to wonder just how safe/untraceable SafeWeb is. If it's safe
>enough to protect Chinese dissidents against torture and execution, then
>it's safe enough to protect freedom fighters in America, Ireland, and
>ZOG-Occupied Palestine. <--(??)
>On the other hand, maybe it's got a "Chinese bit," a Chinese trap door.
>After all, if it were truly safe/untraceable, with good crypto, then
>that same system could and would be used by Chinese apparatchniks
>(whatever the spelling) and PLA officers. The CIA wouldn't want that,
>now would they?

I've heard that In-Q-Tel found a lot of technology they were interested in
acquiring that they had to turn down solely because a foreigner was
involved in developing it. Just as vigilant as they ever were, "private
venture capital" notwithstanding.

Of course it has a trap door, that's probably the whole point of getting it
over there in the first place. And by the way, if you're going to question
SafeWeb for cooperating with CIA, you might as well criticize ZeroKnowledge
for selling a boatload of the Freedom beta to the NSA in 1999 as well. What
did they think they wanted it for, farting around on Usenet? I bet they had
that sucker reverse-engineered and compromised in two minutes flat. Stands
to reason. I wouldn't trust either of them with anything significant.

~Faustine.