Legal Communication and Censorship....

Jon Beets Jon.Beets at pacer.com
Wed Aug 29 19:28:41 PDT 2001

I got a notice today from MOXON & KOBRIN Attorneys at Law representing the Church of Scientology International ("CSI") and Religious Technology Center ("RTC") stating infringement Under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act for a web site I currently mirror at http://xenu.pacer.com. It appears that some of the infringements may be true ( I will have to look to be sure) but what really gets me is the part quoted below.. They are saying since "Scientology", "Dianetics", "Hubbard" and "NOTs" are registered trademarks they cannot be used in metatags in a webpage... The restriction in use of words in a web page is just flat out censorship.. Absolutely ridiculous... It would be one thing if someone used the words to represent a business.. But I would think metatags at the very least would fall under the "Fair Use" clause.

Quoted from email

Lastly, you have placed the following federally registered trademarks belonging to RTC as metatags on your web page:

"Scientology" which is registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under registration numbers: 1540928, 1342353,1329474, 1318717, 1036997, 0898018, 1755441;

"Dianetics" which is registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under registration numbers 1347651, 1366410, 1432039;

"Hubbard" which is registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under registration numbers 1318637, 1505349, 1546167, 1734728; and

"NOTs" which is registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office under registration numbers 1372473, 1307552, 1305409 (NOTS).

End Quote

Jon Beets
Pacer Communications