kuro5hin.org || How Home-Schooling Harms the Nation

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Wed Aug 29 14:14:00 PDT 2001

At 11:01 AM 8/29/01 -0700, mmotyka at lsil.com wrote:
>>Funny that, a State employee putting home education down.
>>
>Funny that, the only people I've ever met who were home schooling their
>kids were fundamentalist christians who objected to all kinds of
>perceived immorality and wrong teaching like sex ed and evolution. In my
>estimation they were poorly equipped to give their children a good
>education. I have no doubt that there are many exceptions to what I've
>seen but those who will do a really fine job of educating their children
>are probably in the minority of homeschoolers.

A number of the top scorers in the academic races they ran this year were
home-schooled.

*Tell us* about the teaching of natural selection in Kansas' public
schools.  Ahem.

In any case, freedom from compulsion is more important.

Its not like public education doesn't include bizarre rituals, (chanting
towards
flags, uniforms) limited perspectives, and hidden agendas (public schools must
encourage registration for the draft by US males).

Regardless of the exemplars that you and I have met, its the freedom that
matters.

>>In any case, the notion that parents should sacrifice their children
>>for the good of society is abhorrent.
>>
>You mean like when we send young males to war so the ones who stay home
>will have less competition?

*Exactly like that*

I was going to include that in one draft... but thought it distracting... glad
you brought it up.

>One facet that I see is that fundamentalists via a strong influence on
>the republican party are trying to divert public funds to religious
>organizations.

Fundies are a scourge when they open their mouths, no doubt about it.
Ship 'em to Afghanistan and let their gods duke it out.