kuro5hin.org || How Home-Schooling Harms the Nation

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Wed Aug 29 07:51:46 PDT 2001

At 09:13 AM 8/29/01 -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
>http://www.Kuro5hin.org/story/2001/8/28/1868/27867

     I've been reading the cover article in Time magazine about home
     schooling, and it makes me wonder. One of the primary questions the
     article poses is this: "Home schooling may turn out better students, but
     does it create better citizens?" Also present is the accusation that home
     schooling threatens the current public education system:

          "Home schooling is a social threat to public education," says
          Chris Lubienski, who teaches at Iowa State University's
          college of education. "It is taking some of the most affluent
          and articulate parents out of the system. These are the
          parents who know how to get things done with
          administrators."

Funny that, a State employee putting home education down.

In any case, the notion that parents should sacrifice their children
for the good of society is abhorrent.