The Privacy/Untraceability Sweet Spot

Gil Hamilton gil_hamilton at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 28 12:50:43 PDT 2001

Nomen Nescio wrote:
[snip]
>The answers it gives depends on the questions you ask.  If your questions
>are simple enough (untraceability good?) then your chart will answer
>them.  If your questions are more interesting (what technologies can
>be practically implemented and make a positive difference in the world)
>then you need a better chart.

You (and Aimee) make the mistake of assuming that all of us believe that
we are living in the best of all possible worlds.  Many people however
believe that we [read: our government(s)] are in a downward spiral that
is converging on police-and-welfare-state.  In the US for example, we
long ago abandoned our constitution.  We still give it much lip service
and we still have one of the "more free" societies but things are
trending in the wrong direction.

Each year more oppressive laws are passed, more things are made illegal
to say or write or - if some have their way - think.  (And of course it
goes without saying that these things that are prohibited to us are
available to "authorized users": those in intelligence, law enforcement,
etc. - the usual "more equal" individuals.)  More of our incomes are
stolen to be redistributed to the lazy and undeserving, who have every
incentive to continue voting for the politicians who will continue to
transfer money from productive individuals to them.

At the same time, more twits like you and Aimee spring up, always ready
to say "no, you mustn't say such things - you don't really mean that, do
you?  How could anyone even think such things?"

As Tim has pointed out over and over, you need to read up on cypherpunks
themes, goals and history.  His signature has included this inscription
for years (though he seems not to be using it lately):

	Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
	anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
	knowledge, reputations, information markets,
	black markets, collapse of governments.

Did you think he didn't really mean it?

As a start on getting up to speed on alternatives to our current "system
of government" (and excellent entertainment besides), I recommend you
read these works:
    "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson
    "The Ungoverned" by Vernor Vinge
There are many others that could be added to this list but just reading
these will give you a taste of some alternative societies that might be in
many ways preferable to the current kleptocracy.

- GH (who admits he's been heavily influenced by Mr. May)